Calling All Chest Freezers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwood

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok folks. Sears.com has a sale that is ending today on this bad boy:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...ppliances&cName=Freezers&sName=Chest+Freezers

No interest for a while...blah blah blah.

Question: Will and 8.8 cubic foot fit two 6.5 gallon carboys? I would imagine that the measurements listed on the Sears site are external but I'm thinking that if they won't fit side by side that they'd fit a bit offset of each other.

Suggestions/experiences with temp controllers? I've got the bug, just tasted my first batch and, well, yum.

Thouhgts on this freezer in terms of size? Anybody else use an 8.8?

gwood said:
...Suggestions/experiences with temp controllers? I've got the bug, just tasted my first batch and, well, yum.

Size looks fine for two carboys.

I like this one...for a temp controller.

If you do ales thoug...you can leave your carboys at basement temp and fit about 5 cornies in here for kegging...

BierMuncher said:
Size looks fine for two carboys.

I like this one...for a temp controller.

If you do ales thoug...you can leave your carboys at basement temp and fit about 5 cornies in here for kegging...

I was thinking that it would be ok. Funny thing, I just got a call from my somebody that has a FREE vertical freezer. Going to check it out this week.

I'd like to do lagers but I think that I'll stick to ales for a few batches. Southern Cali can be a bit crazy in terms of temp swings this time of year. It was in the sixties today and if it wasn't cloudy it might have been in the eighties which would put my closet temps to 73-75.

So the freezer just plugs into one end and the controller into the wall huh...nice.

i hope it worked out, i have a GE 8.0 CF, and it only can hold 2 Cornies and a 10 lb co2 tank. The interior dimensions were just too small to be able hold 4 cornies.....

Atl300zx said:
i hope it worked out, i have a GE 8.0 CF, and it only can hold 2 Cornies and a 10 lb co2 tank. The interior dimensions were just too small to be able hold 4 cornies.....

I'm drilling a hole in the side of my fridge and moving my CO2 tank to the outside.
That way I can fit a 3rd corny in it.

abracadabra said:
I'm drilling a hole in the side of my fridge and moving my CO2 tank to the outside.
That way I can fit a 3rd corny in it.

Since mine is a chest freezer, i could put the co2 tank on the outisde, and just drill a hole in the collar. So far i havent found the need for a third keg yet, as i also keep 2-3 kinds in bottles, so i have a good amt of variety. i think if i were to add another keg to the system, it would be a stout, therefore i would need another gas tank to hold "beer gas" so i could properly serve it.

gwood said:
Ok folks. Sears.com has a sale that is ending today on this bad boy:

Question: Will and 8.8 cubic foot fit two 6.5 gallon carboys? I would imagine that the measurements listed on the Sears site are external but I'm thinking that if they won't fit side by side that they'd fit a bit offset of each other.

Suggestions/experiences with temp controllers? I've got the bug, just tasted my first batch and, well, yum.

I bought my Frigidaire 8.8 at Best Buy for like $279. The measurements they list are outside measurements. I took a tape measure with me when I went shopping to make sure my stuff would fit. About the 6.5 gal carboys, they'll fit for sure. I use the mechanical controller from Johnson Controls. It works simply and flawlessly.

macs said:
I took a tape measure with me when I went shopping to make sure my stuff would fit.

I've seen it mentioned to make a circular cardboard cut out the size of your carboy/keg/etc (several actually) and take them with you when your shopping. Place them in the freezer and that will give you a good idea what will fit.

Mine is about the same size and can fit two 6.5 gal glass fermentors. I found mine on Craigs List and agree with the suggestion of bringing cardboard cutouts. I wanted to be able to fit four cornies, so I brought a cutout with me when I went to purchase mine. Good idea!

I use a Ranco ETC-111000 controller I got off Ebay on my freezer and I'm very happy with it.

Turns out the vertical unit is absolutely filthly with old rotten food (I knew there was a catch - I'll see just how bad later this week) Shouldn't be an issue.

I'm wondering if it's going to be tall enough to get a shelf in that will fit 6.5 carboys top and bottom. Also considering if it would be possible to use it as a dual use unit (fermentor and storage for kegs - I'd have to store everything at fermentation temps 40 - 67 or so and run the kegs through a draft box...anybody do something like this?)

I'd like to move to kegs in the future as my first bottling gave me the sense that it could get a bit old after a while. Time will tell. Thanks for the input.

Didn't want to bump my own thread but thought that it would be better than starting another one :eek:

The freezer didn't work out (had the elements built into the shelving). I almost pulled the trigger on a 24 cu foot monster new from Sears...then I came to my senses after taking a look at Craigs List.

Question:

For those with freezers that came with temp alarms, how did you deal with them? Disable them etc?

Latest posts

Back