Anybody have a good maple porter/stout recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepystevenson

Reaction score
Hello All -

I am interested in making a maple porter for my next brew. Anybody out there have a good recipe they have actually used with success? I am in the process of making my first mash tun now.... so it could be an extract or partial mash recipe.

My parents get a gallon of maple syrup every year for xmas from my dad's uncle....and they never use it, so I have a good supply or real maple syrup.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a porter or stout, just thought it would be a good style for the upcoming winter!

Thanks, All.

Here's the one I just did.....
MAPLE PORTER

6 lbs. Light DME
Steep:
1 lb. Crystal 60L
0.5 lb Chocolate
0.25 lb Roasted Barley
End of Boil:
13 oz maple syrup

1 oz Northern Brewer at 60 min, 1 oz at 30 min

1028 Wyeast London Ale

Notes: I would have used a bit more syrup if I had had it, but I don't know how much is too much. If you do up the syrup level, I would go with 1.5 oz hops for the 60 min. boil.
Also, this yeast clogged my airlock, so watch for that.
Early tastings are very good, can't wait to let it age a bit!

your bottles. B grade (Dark Amber) has the most maple flavor. You need a lot of syrup if you add it to the wort.... like a gallon and at $35, thats going to be one expensive batch.

In my experience, you get more maple flavor using it to prime.

YMMV

Thanks for the replies so far. I have read that most of the maple flavor boils out during the boil. So - I am thinking about adding maple syrup during the boil (maybe half way through) and then adding more during the secondary (and possibly the primary?). I am not really concerned about using a lot of syrup, as my parents have multiple gallons of it in their fridge I can use. Basically just looking for a partial mash recipe for a maple porter that is tried and true!

Latest posts

Back