Barley Crusher on a "V" Belt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KopyKat

Reaction score
Just got my new Barley Crusher and it advises not to use a motor and a "V" belt drive. I presume this is because of the strain on the bushing. I would think that for my use of about once a month and not having the belt on too tight that it would last for many years.

Am I wrong in my thinking? Is this just a CYA on Randy's part? Anyone have any experience with this to enlighten me?

Personally I enjoy the 10 minutes or less it takes to crush my grain by hand. Might change my mind if I was doing more then 5gal batches...

There are ways around putting strain on the bushing. It takes a little more gear, but you could use a short shaft in 2 bearings with shaft couplings to the crusher so that there is no strain on the bushing. Or possibly even one long telfon/nylon bushing for the short shaft. Someone here has a setup in their gallery that uses shaft couplings.

I have a 24v cordless Black & Decker Drill that I got at Lowe's last Christmas. It was a door buster at $39 complete with a carry bag.

So far, it has gone through 50# of grain plus put up blinds in 4 rooms of my house, all on a single charge.

Works like a charm on the Barley Crusher and will take up less room than building a stand with a motor, not to mention it is cheaper.

Back