beer engine with cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonj

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm looking for a corny to buy, but unsure how to use it with a beer engine. I know that I can use it with CO2 pretty easily, but can anyone shed some light with the beer engine?

cheers,

Simonj

We use cornies at the Real Ale Festival here. If you're pouring fairly quickly, one pint after another, just open the pressure release valve. If not, then open it only when you're creating a vacuum.
One creative gent hung his corny up-side-down, tapped from the gas-in post, and let gravity push his beer out.

Hope that helps,
Wild

thanks Wild, since i've never had my hands on a corny i wasn't sure how it'd work. But that makes sense.

cheers,
:tank:

wild said:
We use cornies at the Real Ale Festival here. If you're pouring fairly quickly, one pint after another, just open the pressure release valve. If not, then open it only when you're creating a vacuum.
One creative gent hung his corny up-side-down, tapped from the gas-in post, and let gravity push his beer out.

Hope that helps,
Wild

So the beer was carbonated obviously. Was there any problem with sediment going into the gas-in tube? I would love to try this method.

Proboskus said:
So the beer was carbonated obviously. Was there any problem with sediment going into the gas-in tube? I would love to try this method.
Yes it was but I blew off the first couple of pints before hooking it up to the engine. Since there's no way to insert a vinted spile it seemed to be best just to use the highest pressure to clean it out.

olllllo said:
This may help you with your diy Beer Engine questions:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10529

Be sure to give sonvolt some love.
That was the one I built in 2004 for the Real Ale Fest at the Ice House downtown. They work great!

Wild

Back