Fusels in home made wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
Hi HBT.
I have been thinking about whether there can be a high enough fusel concentration in home made wine (not jacked!) to be a danger if one drinks alot of it (like there can be in Apple Jack)? (besides the apparent liver punishment).

You'd need a ridiculous abv.

The strongest applejack I've ever tasted only triggered a bad hangover, nothing serious.

The ethanol will kill you faster.

Hehe. So even a poorly brewed (fermented if you prefer) wine would not pose a risk? Except for tasting bad etc. Even with an ABV. of 16%?

Are Methanol and Fusel Alc. the same thing? You're the second person I've seen use one term in a thread about the other.

EDIT: Did some research, seems to indicate they are not the same thing.
Methanol can kill you, Fusels just make you want to die.

I'm sorry for not doing my homework in regards to the terms. I've been confused too. I meant methanol levels. The stuff that makes you blind.

DMartin said:
Are Methanol and Fusel Alc. the same thing? You're the second person I've seen use one term in a thread about the other.

Brew2Be said:
I'm sorry for not doing my homework in regards to the terms. I've been confused too. I meant methanol levels. The stuff that makes you blind.

That was actually directed at Yooper, but now we all learned something! Drinks all around!

Back