secondary chocolate flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyspalding

Reaction score
I have a baltic porter where I just switched to the secondary today, I already flavored with some coffee and cardamom. Its a Brewers Best Kit, at 5.5 percent alc. I put in a quarter of a teaspoon of vanilla extract also. My question, (let me preface I am looking for some well rounded flavors nothing over bearing,) I added some cacao nibs, this is my second batch ever so I am a noob. I put 2 ounces of the chunked up in and ground up another ounce. I thought I could just leave this in the secondary for however long I wanted, but this article concerns me, http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/formulating-and-brewing-winning-chocolate-porter, saying no longer than 2 weeks..... Anybody have any thoughts on this?? I also don't have it in a mesh bag, yeah sounds stupid, I don't care, most of it won't make the bottles during the racking process. OH!! Lastly, does it matter what the temp is in the secondary? Its in a room at 79 for today, but I can move it to about 74, again noob, don't know how much temp matters at this point. Thanks for the thoughts.

I have never made a porter, seems like they want a lot of recipes at the 60F to 64F range. One brewer, I ran across, stated that 70F didn't hurt his particular recipe.

Latest posts

Back