Austin Homebrew Supplies 1% alcohol boost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poker Nut

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing and had a question about Austin Homebrew Supplies offer for $1.99 to add a 1% alcohol boost in their beer recipe kits. They claim it will not affect flavor. Anybody know what it is they add? I am guessing it is a sugar, but does anybody know for sure?

Thanks

Okay, I am a single female about 22 with a killer rack and nice A@#. I love to homebrew and also love football. Iam desperatly seeking a boyfriend with similar interests.

Is there anything else you would like to know? :p

Poker Nut said:
Okay, I am a single female about 22 with a killer rack and nice A@#. I love to homebrew and also love football. Iam desperatly seeking a boyfriend with similar interests.

Is there anything else you would like to know? :p

AND a poker nut! zomg, i'm in love!

As Dude said, it is corn sugar.

looks like it's time to remind you guys who that hot chick on the other side of the mintor is again . . . .

2086-guy.jpg

Nothing personal PokerNut

yeah it's probably just a bit of corn surgar. Personally i;d just ad a bit more malt extract (thats just me), it will do the same thing

Don't waste your money. Austin Homebrew sells a opund of corn sugar for $1.50, IIRC. I have a VERY strong suspicion that it's the same as the alcohol boost for $2.00.

In other words, I think it's just a way of giving something a fancy name and marking up the price by $0.50.

Thanks for the advice guys; I kind of figured that it was a sugar. Pumbaa is probably closer to the truth,. I know I had to get your attention somehow. I am actually a 30ish guy living in So Cal. It is a little scary that the guy in picture does look a little like me, but I can assure you it would take more beer than you all could brew to get me in those pantyhose.

Thanks, now I know what gets attention around here. Girls, beer and poker. Quite a nice mix.

Poker Nut said:
Austin Homebrew Supplies offer for $1.99 to add a 1% alcohol boost in their beer recipe kits.

This actually makes me looks down on Austin Homebrew supply. Looks like they are assuming that home brewers are in it for the alcohol.

Kai

Kaiser said:
This actually makes me looks down on Austin Homebrew supply. Looks like they are assuming that home brewers are in it for the alcohol.

Kai

everyone is out to make a buck. I dont blame them for offering it to those who want it.

Kaiser said:

Kai

I'm with you, Kai; makes me feel kinda queasy. I like supporting my local guy, anyway, and for the stuff he doesn't stock Northern Brewer has been great.

I used the AHS "boost" on my first two batches but have to admit it really doesn't seem worth it. As far as I can tell it is just more corn sugar that they charge you $2 for....I don't think it screwed anything up, but I don't think it's really worth it. Why mess with a good thing?

PokerNut - Not sure where in SoCal you live, but there is a good homebrew store in San Juan Capistrano/Mission Viejo called O'Shea's. I never actually bought anything from them (was during brewing hiatus) but they seemed to have their act together.

ECOdork,

Thanks for the tip. I live in Temecula, and we don't have a store nearby. The closest I have found is in Riverside or San Diego. We go beach camping a lot in San Onofre, so I'll have to make a side trip up to O'Shea's.

How did your Fat Tire clone turn out ???

Man, I miss SoCal.....:(

The Fat Tire clone was my first solo brew after a long hiatus, so as long as it tastes decent and doesn't make me ill, I'll call it a success. That being said, so far so good on that bad boy! I cracked a bottle yesterday (2 weeks post-bottling) and it was nicely carbonated and tasted really good but I know that it will mature very nicely with another 2+ weeks. Back in grad school in TX we brewed a handfull of AHS "mini-mash"Clone kits and we were always very pleased with the results. No matter how hard we tried :drunk: :cross: to screw up a batch we never did!

I can't find New Belgium beers often in NC, so no head-to-head comparison....either way, it's tasty and I know I'll enjoy it! :D

On a side note, if you like mountain biking check out:
www.socaltrailriders.org

Great group of laidback SoCal folks who like to ride. Website is VERY well done and based on the format of this forum. They are solid riders and great people. Tell them ECOdork sent ya'!!!

Poker Nut said:
ECOdork,

Thanks for the tip. I live in Temecula, and we don't have a store nearby. The closest I have found is in Riverside or San Diego. We go beach camping a lot in San Onofre, so I'll have to make a side trip up to O'Shea's.

How did your Fat Tire clone turn out ???

Mountain biking use to be my hobby. Now I have a 1 year old who is a bit much to keep up with. At least I can brew and keep an eye on him at the same time. I'll save the link for when I get back on the bike.

Thanks for posting that, I had been wondering what that boost stuff was.

I also used the "YeastFuel" on the Fattire and IPA clones. Didn't really notice anything with the FT, but the IPA fermented like crazy. :rockin:

For my next batch (planning an Abita Turbodog Clone) I decided to get the "mini-mash" kit from AHS but the yeast from the LHBS which carries Wyeast smack packs. So as long as I don't over-smack the pack like I did last time :( , I should be good. Assuming the beer tastes good, I've had positive results (so far) with the Wyeast despite popping the bag....

I have ordered a few kits from AHS and passed on the boost...primarily because the idea doesn't really appeal to me and I have been more interested in brewing lower abv beers in general as of late. However I do know a few folks that order it every time they get a kit from AHS. The kits in general have yielded some great brews.

I can imagine it is especially popular.

Back