It's whiskey not beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmcsniper

Reaction score
So I started with the chimay grande reserve recipe (9%) from Beer Captured. After secondary I dropped into a freshly emptied whiskey barrel for additional flavor and aging. I love strong bourbon beers. However upon tasting the uncarbonated result I realized I under estimated the amount of whiskey that would be pulled from the walls after only two months of aging. I basically have watered down whiskey. It's really good whisky but the beer is invisible. I don't think aging will do it any good as the beer already aged for a few months prior to putting in the barrel and the whiskey probably isn't going anywhere. *

The game plan now is to figure out how to "cut it" with another batch of beer, preferably something with a sturdier flavor profile that can match up with the whiskey. Something dark, thick, and on the sweeter side to balance out the flavors.*

Looking for ideas or recipes.

What was the batch to barrel size ratio you had going? I would think you would need to have had a really big batch or very small barrel to get this right.

I don't have recipes on hand at the moment but I would suggest a strong quad. This would be similar to what you may have been going for in the beginning. Boulevard makes a Bourbon Barrel Quad which is delicious, definitely something worth trying.

I've had the Wood Aged Stout from Pike Brewing and it was amazing. It reeked of whiskey but still had that amazing, intense strong stout profile.

If you make a stout on the sweeter side I imagine that could come out amazing. It'll be intense, but awesome.

Agree with above, if it is really strong you are going to need more than one five gallon batch to cut the "whiskey" you have back down to size.

One thing you might could do is go ahead and bottle it flat so you can have your brewhouse equipment back.

I bet you could dump one gallon of it into a decent Russian Imperial Stout and another gallon onto a 5g batch of an export stout.

Then maybe do a 3 gallon batch of an over the top RIS and mix that 50-50 with the last three gallons of hooch?

Great ideas. I like the idea of using this batch to blend in small quantities of other batches that need a kick. Now to decide on the next batch to brew. I'm not a huge stout fan, but I like the quad or maybe a vanilla porter.

I've had a similar issue with a batch that was over oaked. I found mixing it 1/4 over-oaked to 3/4 new seems about right.

I think that maybe a Belgium dark strong ale would be a nice match or a nice rich porter.

Rahr has a Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer that is absolutley awesome, only a hint of Bourbon and Vinilla

Back