New favorite marinade: Jack Daniels!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1/2 C Soy Sauce ( I prefer the low sodium one it's not so overbearing)
1/2 C Jack Daniel's Whiskey ( Black or single bbl, no Gentleman's)
1/3 C Dark Brown Sugar
1 TBS Dark Mustard
1 TS Chipotle powder ( Penzey's Spices )

Marinade for at least 1-2 hours or overnight. Cook steak to your liking, do not baste the meat but pour the remaining marinade into a sauce pan and boil 20+ minutes, reduce slightly. Add a small amount of flour or corn starch to thicken and serve as BBQ sauce.

All I can say is MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm...... Steak!!

ok now i want to hear some opinions about this. my wife is taking some catering/chef courses right now says everything she has read says to not reuse the marinade to make a sauce/gravy. i have done this many times and always loved the results.

she says the safest thing to do is make double your marinade and use half to marinade the other for the sauce. she mumbled something about contamination something or other.

I was watching one of the cooking shows and it also said to not re-use the marinade but I don't understand it. You are getting the meat inside up to what 165? The marinade actually gets boiled so less should live through that than what is in the meat already. Additionally the PH of most marinades is pretty low

I do it all the time with beef, but I'll admit that with chicken I get nervous and usually don't . But I boil it for about 20 minutes and anything that lives through that and makes me sick is sure going to live through getting cooked on my steak.

You really should never reuse any old marinades. The reasoning is that there are some things that may not get killed just from boiling. Now with saying that I will personally never do it with chicken or pork but for steak I will.

Best thing though is to always just make extra.

That marinade looks like it might be great for Bourbon Chicken.

Right at the end of my time with TGI Fridays they came out with their Jack Daniels glaze/BBQ sauce and that whole thing. This thread reminded me of it but it's not a marinade...it's a sauce/glaze. I remember at the VERY beginning we had to make it from scratch but I never made that particular sauce. In any case, here's a recipe I found online: TGIF JD BBQ/glaze.

The orig was a very tasty glaze imo, never tried this online recipe.

TGIF also had an Apple-Butter BBQ sauce that was really good too.

Reusing marinades for sauces is kinda like busting a U-turn on a busy street. They told you not to do it in class, you read warning signs about it all the time, but in the end people are gonna do it anyway and usually have a good time doing it...and yes, I've been reusing marinade for years; beef only, never chicken.

I'm definitely gonna try some jack daniels in my next jerky recipe.

Reusing marinades for sauces is kinda like busting a U-turn on a busy street. They told you not to do it in class, you read warning signs about it all the time, but in the end people are gonna do it anyway and usually have a good time doing it...and yes, I've been reusing marinade for years; beef only, never chicken.

I'm definitely gonna try some jack daniels in my next jerky recipe.

Nice analogy! And on jerkey!!! This would be incredible. It's just the right amount of sweet and hot and JD....

I think that one of the reasons people say not to reuse marinades is because they are often too salty.

Salty marinades make awful sauces.

as has been posted previously... I'll reserve a bit of marinade for making a sauce. I don't reuse marinades myself.
YMMV.

The main reason is cross-contamination. Raw food in the marinade...then cooked food afterwards. Cross-contamination is such a bugaboo in restaurant cooking that I've just never done it...but I don't see the problem if you boil it right after you pull the raw meat out.

Back