Clear plasti-dip on glass carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hexmonkey

Reaction score
I was thinking back to when I worked in a lab and some of the jars were covered with a transparent, thick rubber skin to keep it semi-intact if it broke.

With a large enough amount of clear plasti-dip, and the time to paint it on in layers to build up the right thickness, does anybody think this would work? Or is plasti-dip too rigid?

I'm not expecting it to be better-bottle-drop-it-and-it-bounces safe, but maybe safe enough that if the carboy broke it might have a chance of not turning into an armful of knives?

I'm sure it would work. Question is... Is it worth the cost and effort. For the price you could probably buy some better bottles or buckets.

Yea, I think the cost may make it prohibitive, unless you can get a good deal on it. I wonder how thick it would need to be to prevent the glass from shattering through it?

I've never used the stuff before, but does it brush on fairly thick?

An alternative would be a thick garbage bag in a brew hauler.

Very thick, you need to thin it with acetone to paint with it. Stinks toxic fumes, do it outside if you must.

Latest posts

Back