Tried the Local Brewpub today for lunch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thataintchicken

Reaction score
A day off spent leisurely led to the discovery of a brewpub near my home.
Had never seen, nor heard anyone speak of it. It has been around since 1999.

I ordered a Porter.
This would be my test beer... I order this in every new pub I visit.
They were out. So I ordered an IPA.

Hate to say it, but Bud American Ale had more hops in it. The ABV was nice, but no hop love was found in this pint. Maybe I am spoiled by growing up in the NW and homebrewing with pounds of cascades over the years.

I tried the Pumpkin ale.
bleh.
No pumpkin flavor at all. It tasted like a wheat beer with spices tossed in. Which would be fine if it was listed as a spiced wheat.

The $5.99 lunch special was good tho. It was fresh, tasty and served in 7 minutes.
Decent ticket time for a lunch. I would hire the guy in the kitchen if he applied at my joint. I was able to watch him from my bar stool. He worked clean and quiet.. that, I love.

The brewer was working busily. I caught him saying he wanted to get stuff done so he didn't have to come in tomorrow. Was he cutting corners?

Based on the Pumpkin ale... most likely.

I'll try it again next week.
maybe there will be porter on tap.

I've noticed here in Michigan there are 2 kinds of brew pubs...There are yuppy ones that serve decent food and mediocre beer...many of these also serve bmc on tap and bottle (much to my chagring) and they often think, despite the fact that their beer stinks, that their sh*t doesn't.

Their waitstaff knows very little about the beer they serve, and could care less, and the patrons care more about hooking up or the fact that they're in a "trendy place" then the beer itself.

Then we have the REAL ones, they tend to be a little more "divy" or at least more plain in decor....they don't let you smoke inside, they don't have ice for their water if you ask for a glass, they have a VERY limited menu, like cheese platters or sausage plates (or they serve one type of hamburger, or a small single item pizza, nothing exciting.)

And their beers are amazing

Half the people in these places are homebrewers, and they other half know more about beer then 3-4 of us on here combined, except maybe how to make it...and their wait staff can tell you what the moisture content of the hop it wast dryhopped with, and will bring you a sip of every beer on the list and not charge you taster price.....

We have 2 in SE michigan like this, Dragonmeade, and Kuhnens, and sadly 5-6 of the other type around...

I mean.. I may be spoiled having grown up with Brewpubs and great beer around me. Yet.. as a manager of a restaurant... If I have something on the menu, I need to ensure that it is available for my guests.

I guess that is my main problem with the place. The waitstaff was friendly and on par.. the cook was ahead of the game.
The brewer, well....

I found a review online of the place, They were out of Porter when the reviewer was there too... Over a month without a menu item is not good.
I should talk to the owner and find out if the place is in need of a manager.
one never knows. :)

There is a BJ's ( with no brewery ) opening 8 blocks from this place 2 weeks from now.. I almost took a job there. ( couldn't match the $$ I currently make )

And Revvy.. you are correct.
Brewpubs either get beer right .. or they get food right.

God Knows.. I want the chance to do them both right. I know I can.
someday.

btw.. I know what your latin title means. One of my favorites. I use it as a basis for customer service training. :)

And Revvy.. you are correct.
Brewpubs either get beer right .. or they get food right.

God Knows.. I want the chance to do them both right. I know I can.
someday.

btw.. I know what your latin title means. One of my favorites. I use it as a basis for customer service training. :)

I'm hoping that our own member's Naked City in Seattle gets it right, though I have a feeling that the culture there is different, and they usually get both right...

But why do you think that is...why is it rare to get it both right?

(ANd you must be a brilliant guy and a great trainer.)

:mug:

(ANd you must be a brilliant guy and a great trainer.)

:mug:

nah. not a great trainer.
I just look at things differently than most.

I can tell you why brewpubs can fail.
Food is created by Production. 4oz of this plus 5 oz of that = menu item.
Beer is Created through a Marriage of Love and Chaos.
Water + Grains + Hops + Time + someone who gives a S**t = Great Beer.

Two different animals.
Brewpubs by nature need to lean toward love versus maximized food cost efficiency. It's an atmosphere thing.
The second one needs to run a timer on a food order.. is the second you begin to suck as a brewpub manager.

from what I have learned about Don and Naked City... is he loves this art of brewing.
This is his medium. His love will be felt by his guests.

This is why he will be popular.
His location, surrounded by early closing restaurants and tons of foot traffic will be why he will be successful.

and I hate him LOL :)

Went back to the local brewpub for a quick lunch.
Still no Porter on tap. sigh

No reason to go back their now, as a BJ's has opened stumbling distance from my home.
Maybe they'll have a Porter for me to enjoy on my day off next week.

Went back to the local brewpub for a quick lunch.
Still no Porter on tap. sigh

No reason to go back their now, as a BJ's has opened stumbling distance from my home.
Maybe they'll have a Porter for me to enjoy on my day off next week.

Yeah...i've given a couple of the mediocre brewpubs the second chance...and they've let me down as well...so it's bye bye for them on my list.

Back