Where to put keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
I have a dilemna about placement of my keezer/kegerator and need some input. I live in San Francisco, and for those that don't know it is pretty much foggy at least some part of each day. So fog means humidity, and my question concerns a refrigerator outside. My apartment is kind of wierdly designed in that the floorplan is like a donut. You walk in the front door, and go in a complete circle around the apartmnet, through the kitchen and living room and back to the front door. This leaves a little maybe 8 ft x 8 ft place in the middle of the apartment that is actually open to the outside. There is a little door/window that opens, and there is tile and a drain out there. It is actually quite nice because I have my burner and stuff out there and it is where i brew, and it is right next to the kitchen.

Ok so here comes the question: when I finally set up my system, I have 2 options. It can either go 1) downstairs in the garage, which is a steep set of steps down to a one-car garage with a decent amount of space, or 2) outside in my little "outdoor" area. What kinds of reason would I not want to put the fridge outside? Would the fog be bad for the fridge and/or beer inside (thinking maybe rust, mold, etc)? In the garage would be fine but then we would have to go downstairs each time to fill a glass, and that could tricky if we've had a few. Anyways, looking for any and all comments! Thanks for reading my long-winded question!

Jason

Most refridgerators and freezers are designed for indoor use. There are a few designed for outdoor use but not many. Unless you have one specifically designed for outdoors I'd put it in the garage.

Apart from abra's advice, the humidity is going to be a problem no matter where it is if the climate is such (just a matter of degree). Some people use DampRid to get rid of the moisure inside the freezer.

Back