How to clean beer filter tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilvish

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased a beer filtering kit from Morebeer. Here's a link to the product: http://morebeer.com/products/beer-wine-filtering-kit.html

I transferred/filtered beer from keg A to keg B, but now I'm wondering how to clean the beer filter tubing. There's a QD on both ends of the tubing. I forced pressurized Starsan solution from a keg to the filter, but I can still see some residual trub/yeast within the tubing.

Any suggestions?

Beer filtering kit.jpg

dilvish said:
Hi all, I recently purchased a beer filtering kit from Morebeer. Here's a link to the product: http://morebeer.com/products/beer-wine-filtering-kit.html I transferred/filtered beer from keg A to keg B, but now I'm wondering how to clean the beer filter tubing. There's a QD on both ends of the tubing. I forced pressurized Starsan solution from a keg to the filter, but I can still see some residual trub/yeast within the tubing. Any suggestions?

I bought what is essentially the same kit from northernbrewer which uses flare nut fittings. From that pic, it looks like yours has oetiker clamps and hose barbs. The easiest long term solution would be to go with a flare nut adapter and use threaded keg fittings. However, one thing you could do, which will require a spare keg is, to back flush through the filter assembly after filtration using a keg filled with clean water. You'll also need yet another keg to accept the filtered material. If you could remove the flare nut keg connections it would be easier. The NB kit came with a garden hose to flare nut 6" back flush hose that I can connect for back flushing. The keg fittings only permit flow when they are connected to a post or if you push the stem in to relieve the seal.

Good luck

Thanks for the response TrickyDick.

You'd think they'd include cleaning instructions with the product, but no such luck.

I do have one spare keg, and I used it to backflush into the filter assembly. While it did get some of the crud out, it would have clearly worked better if I had a second keg to accept the filtered water.

The product worked well re: filtering my beer, so I'd like to continue using it. However, the last thing I want to do is contaminate my beer via the filter.

dilvish said:
Thanks for the response TrickyDick. You'd think they'd include cleaning instructions with the product, but no such luck. I do have one spare keg, and I used it to backflush into the filter assembly. While it did get some of the crud out, it would have clearly worked better if I had a second keg to accept the filtered water. The product worked well re: filtering my beer, so I'd like to continue using it. However, the last thing I want to do is contaminate my beer via the filter.

I hear you. Its kind of a pain to use.

I used mine on Tuesday for the first time . Try going to NB and downloading their instruction sheet. It's called the beer brite filtration system.

I started by soaking everything in StarSan overnight. Then I assembled and flushed with StarSan and the 5 micron filter. Then I think I blew co2 through to purge the residual StarSan. Then I filtered 10 gal of beer and then attached the back flush assembly and back flushed with water. Installed the 1 micron filter then re flushed with StarSan and then purged with co2. Then re filtered the beer and back flushed again. I dipped the parts in StarSan and let them dry when I was finished.

Tip- if you soak the filter housing in a bucket of StarSan, be sure the o ring is still in place and not in the bottom of your bucket or you will have a bunch of star San leaking on your floor when you flush... Ask me how I know this....

I think you'd be smart to fashion your own back flush tube and swap the hose barb fittings with flare nut fittings to make your life a whole lot easier when using the filter

TD

Thanks for the response TrickyDick.

You'd think they'd include cleaning instructions with the product, but no such luck.

I do have one spare keg, and I used it to backflush into the filter assembly. While it did get some of the crud out, it would have clearly worked better if I had a second keg to accept the filtered water.

The product worked well re: filtering my beer, so I'd like to continue using it. However, the last thing I want to do is contaminate my beer via the filter.

If you don't have extra kegs, this can help. This is what I use to push BLC, followed by Hot Water followed by StarSan to clean my beer lines. I imagine you could run this through the QD using this:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.o...m/show?title=pimp-my-system-beer-line-cleaner

Was easy to make and saves me from dealing with a keg and CO2 to push cleaner through.

Back