No sparge brewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtbrown54

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to a good resource on no sparge brewing?

I wanna try my mash tomorrow without sparging if possible.

I don't have a link but there is really nothing to it. Just add all the water you would use for a sparge to your mash. You have b\to be pretty sure about your losses though as you can't adjust your sparge water if you are off. Also remember your tun must be able to hold all 8-10 gallons of water plus the grain. My 10 gallon tun was right up to the top for a lower gravity beer.

Gameface,
No-sparge is supposed to give you a better malt flavor at the cost of a lower efficiency. FWIW, I have tried it and notices a slight improvement but I went back to sparging.

don't mean to hijack the thread, but .... outta curiosity ... JT, if you were pleased with the results why did you go back to sparging? thanks.

The Nov, 2011 copy of BYO magazine has a good article about no sparge brewing. If I remeber correctly it works well for certain styles.

Actually there's quite a few excellent and detailed threads on "No Sparge Brewing" right here.....Just do a search and you'll find a ton...There's one on here that went on here for over a year....

Back