Lots of yeast in bottles after prolonged cold storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madlob75

Reaction score
I brewed and bottled a Dead Guy Ale clone last Feb and all seemed to go well. Once bottled, it took quite a while to get carbonation, but after letting it sit for weeks I was happy with the results. I had a couple six packs buried in my keezer and decided to pull one out recently. I was shocked to see about an inch of sediment (yeast?) in all the bottles. I checked the other bottles that I don't have cold and there is only a thin line of yeast in those. I poured one of the sediment-laden bottles and it smelled fine. SO...did I just cold-crash in the bottles? Is there something weird going on? Should I worry about bottle bombs for the uncooled ones? I'm used to sediment, but there just seemed to be SO MUCH of it, it has me worried.

Thanks in advance for the help, and I apologize if this is one of those frequently asked and answered questions. I did searches and couldn't find a similar topic.

Hi

You need to drink more Belgian bottle carb'd ale. That will de-sensitize you to any foolish feelings about "to much" yeast in a bottle... :tank:

Bob

Back