forgot about beer in fermenter... pitch new yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xl3ill

Reaction score
So I was really excited about this stout I was making, but I moved back from college, got a new job, etc... and I totally forgot about this beer I was making. It's been sitting in the fermenter for about 6 weeks now, though the gravity didn't level off until 3 weeks in. I'm still worried that the yeast might be dead by now. Should I pitch new yeast before I bottle, or would that screw things up even more? Thanks

Take the lid off. Smell it. If it doesn't smell bad then take a gravity reading followed by a sample taste.

If all's good then bottle it.

I don't think I need to tell you what to do if you don't get past the first step...;)

DeathBrewer said:
should be fine as long as there wasn't a huge temperature change. but...you forgot? you FORGOT!!!???? *ahem* sorry ;)
Yeah how can you forget? I'm work 65 - 70 hours a week and the first thing I do when I get home is check on the brew.... :D

I agree that your beer should be fine. It may take a tad longer to carbonate but maybe you will get busy and forget about it for another 6 weeks after you bottle. :mug:

yea I know I deserve this.... Thanks for all the help! I'm bottling today!

Back