Double IPA Pliny the Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pliny the Amber! Sure looks nice.

Haha "9y the Amber" sounds like a good name.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1445896799.850051.jpg
Still wish it was gold like this, instead of copper/Amber. Oh well, it still tastes good.

Not as crisp or piney as the real PTE, but still gets me feeling good at 9% haha. (May even be higher since my thermometer sucks and the gravity/temp would need to be adjusted. Definitely feels like more than 9%. Maybe not by much, but it packs a deceptive punch after 3-4 haha)

My PTEs are a bit more fruity from letting it ferment at room temp, but it actually compliments everything really well with all the hops. The versions I've given to people they've really liked them, and a couple have even asked if I put any fruit in it haha.

My one teacher, that I gave a couple of my different beers to, said that he thought the "heatwave DIPA" PTE clone was amazing. He asked me if I had ever thought of opening a brewery, and then said he would mop the floors there to get more of it haha. I'll probably give him a bottle or two of my "9y the Amber" this Thursday to see how he likes it.

It's funny too, because about two years ago he was homebrewing and gave me one of his beers, and now I'm giving him mine and inspiring him to brew again haha.

What fermentation temps have people used that gave a good result? My mash temp was a bit lower than I wanted at 148/149 degrees, but everything else was mostly in line with the recipe in the first post.

Apparently fermenting at 80f!! Ha! I ferment in buckets, my chilled water around the buckets start at 67, 61,61,63,65, room temp for each day.

Res, if I had a dollar every time I heard to open a brewery. Pretty happy where I am with home brew. That's why we have real jobs, eh?

I have a batch that I need to keg- I have been crash cooling for the past 3 nights outside but it's gonna be a little bit too cold here in ct tonight to leave it out

Meant to write .6 lbs. iPad was messing up. My recipe is all grain too- I used a mix of Pilsner and 2 row but still got a lot of color. The sample tasted great- I still feel like it needs a little bit more aroma though, I guess we will see once it is carbed up.

I actually want to do this again but omit the crystal- or add it at the end of the mash

I thinks it's b/c they're contracting out some of their brewing, similar to Alpine using green flash. Similar outcome as well

Jammin,

I thought the contract brewing through Firestone Walker was only in early 2015 so I'm not sure that's the cause. I could be wrong. I was at the brewery a couple of weeks ago and got a couple of 12 packs. They weren't bad at all. I have had some pretty poor ones in the past though so I agree, it is kind of hit or miss. But mostly hits.

And I also agree that the contracted Alpine brews are generally poor renderings of Alpine's originals. Although the last six pack of Pure Hoppiness was the best I've had in a long time (but still not the Alpine I remember).

Cheers!

^im far from an expert good, sir. Just speculating so i might be full of chit haha

Green flash sure did butcher alpine's stuff though! That much I'm certain of. What a shame

Doing more pure clone with recipe from thread #544. Had extra Ammarillo which was used, too much imho. Got dipa's down to about 21 days brew to keg to glass. Maybe monday..

^im far from an expert good, sir. Just speculating so i might be full of chit haha

Green flash sure did butcher alpine's stuff though! That much I'm certain of. What a shame

When was green flash contract brewing for alpine? I hadn't heard this until now (I just don't pay attention to that part of the business) so I'm genuinely curious.

When was green flash contract brewing for alpine? I hadn't heard this until now (I just don't pay attention to that part of the business) so I'm genuinely curious.

They've been doing it for quite a while now - a good year id guess. funny how us home brewers are tickled to even get small tips for a clone yet GF gets the whole recipes handed to them and they mess it all up

PS - people refer to the GF brewed Alpine as "Green Flush" haha

Well here's my calculations based on an extract utilization formula I found...GramsExtract=(IBU*hectoliters@End of boil)/(.35*10). Solved for IBU =(53), then added Warrior, in Beersmith 2, until IBU was achieved.

Used Beersmith2 with 62% efficiency at 5.8 gallons to fermenter with 90min boil. Don't see how the 70IBU in posted recipe sheet is possible with these amount of hops.

Other hops/grain bill were a simple calculation; 1300gallons/5.8gallons=224-factor so CTZ at 90min for example is 7*16/224=.5oz.

10.25gallons total.
5.75 strike

OG=1.072
IBU= 170
SRM=6.1
ABV=7.8%

Rahr = 17.1 lbs
c60 = 4.6oz (edit.. from lbs)
Corn Sugar = 14.4 oz

Warrior @ 90min = 1.1oz
CTZ @ 90min = .5oz

Amarillo @ 45min= .6oz

Simcoe @ 30min = 1.4oz

Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Simcoe @ WPool for 20min = 1oz each

Dry Hopping (Wasn't sure the days so just have dry hopping at 5 days each)
Dry1:
Simcoe = 1.6oz
Cascade = 1.25oz
CTZ = .70oz

Dry2:
Simcoe = 1.4oz
Cascade= 1.0oz
Amarillo/CTZ = .5oz each

Anyone else??

Edit: added extract formula found and recalculated to End of Boil volume. Also this is about 14oz of hops, my other calculation, using a smaller factor, make it around 22oz, and the grain bill would be way high.

This recipe is for a 10 gal batch?

Just brewed the version of this as found in Brewing Classic Styles. I did increase the recipe by 10% but only added 1lb of dextrose. 9.25 gal preboil volume, 7.25gal post boil vol with an OG of 1.080 on a 90 min boil. Made a big honkin step starter of wlp 001 thats happily chugging along. I did a small fwh with 19g of warrior that I had left over and subbed the 90min warrior with columbus. The other additions are per Jamils recipe. 17oz of hops total.

I guess the Pliny recipe will be my next batch. Will scale down to 2.5 gals. Looking forward to it.

I brewed my modified version of Pliny last weekend. The most prominent change was Conan instead of the Chico strain. I moved the hops around and did two hop stands, one a few minutes after flame out (stood 30 minutes) then a second at 180 degrees (another 30 minutes). Magnum for bittering @ 60 mins, 1 ounce of Simcoe at 30 mins and the rest post-boil.

Will do a double-dose dry hop.

Pulled a hydro sample today 11 days in and 3 days into the dry hop. Sitting at 1.010 from a 1.080 SG. If the finished beer tastes anything like this Im going to be real happy.

I guess the Pliny recipe will be my next batch. Will scale down to 2.5 gals. Looking forward to it.

Thats gonna take a lot of work and time for 2.5 gallons of finished beer! I will probably bottle 5 to 6 gallons when its all said and done but started with 9.25 gallons pre boil volume. Lots of hop and trub loss in this beasty.

Thats gonna take a lot of work and time for 2.5 gallons of finiahed beer! I will probably bottle 5 to 6 gallons when its all said and done but started with 9.25 gallons pre boil volume. Lots of hop and trub loss in this beasty.

Yeah, but 5 gallons of beer is a lot for one person, especially a hoppy beer like this one that has a noticeable loss in hop quality over time.

Anyone have a BIAB conversion for this? Looking to result in 5gal in a keg.

I'd start lower with the rye so it doesn't overpower it. Or do a split fermentation using rye extract to see how much you need to get what you're looking for. To me rye drives the perceived bitterness way up and can easily knock a beer out of balance.

Hi guys,
would like to try this clone, which is the best/recommended recipe version for Biab?

Just tried to put down recipe on the first page for my 12G rig, so i've to shoot for around 200ibu? OMG!

Back