What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Friday at the school's tailgate, I supplied my coworkers with: British IPA, Stout, Imperial Stout, and Barleywine.

The British IPA went over well, though I am not as happy with it as I could be (aren't we our worst critics?) as I think it needs more aroma hops, the Stout I am thinking might need to be dumped (it hasn't gotten better with aging and the recipe needs a rework), the Imperial Stout has not carbed after 6 months in the bottle and is too sweet, and the Barleywine is good, but will probably be amazing by Christmas.

I am thinking of dropping a couple grains of Red Star Champagne Yeast into each bottle of the Imperial Stout. Good idea? Bad idea? Alternatives?
That should carbonate it but it might dry it on down. It will ferment very dry and produce a compact sediment. ... Alcohol Tolerance: 12% For Soda Making : To create carbonation in the bottle. Notes : Red Star Pasteur Blanc (formerly known as 'champagne' yeast) is a strong fermenter with good ethanol tolerance, and ...

Too much stuff, not even time for more than one picture lol. Disassembled and cleaned two kegs with pbw, transferred my RIS from secondary, cleaned my secondary fermenter, roasted my raw cacao nibs, and then soaked them in vodka for the RIS keg.
20191014_202126.jpeg

Got a high ABV RIS put to bed. Pitched yeast last night, got the ferm freezer set for a long, slow ferment. Got a stuck ferment on a Scotch ale, trying everything to get the FG down.

Just upped the temp on my fermentation freezer, for an RIS that is winding down. Preparing vodka tinctures of cacao, vanilla and cinnamon for secondary.

Nursing along a batch of hi test RIS, on 5th day with active krausen. Doing very well for something of this ABV. Will pull a gravity sample later today. Or maybe not. Doing good, leave it alone. Hmmm.....

This RIS is amazing me! Still chugging along. Pitched 2 tbs (23g) of US-05 on 10-8, still have krausen on day 7. OG was 1.106, yesterday down to 1.035, and still rockin!

I just dumped a batch of Scotch ale for the same problem. Do what you gotta do.

So Friday at the school's tailgate, I supplied my coworkers with: British IPA, Stout, Imperial Stout, and Barleywine.

The British IPA went over well, though I am not as happy with it as I could be (aren't we our worst critics?) as I think it needs more aroma hops, the Stout I am thinking might need to be dumped (it hasn't gotten better with aging and the recipe needs a rework), the Imperial Stout has not carbed after 6 months in the bottle and is too sweet, and the Barleywine is good, but will probably be amazing by Christmas.

I am thinking of dropping a couple grains of Red Star Champagne Yeast into each bottle of the Imperial Stout. Good idea? Bad idea? Alternatives?

Ignored the one in the ferment fridge. Had intended to taste it today (Strata SMaSH) but life, work, and nap got in the way. Dropped the dry hop on Thursday, next available time to taste it will be Wednesday. For once the pipeline is full, so can let this one go a bit longer. And looked into a competition coming up, would have to join AHA to enter (yikes $$) but I'm tempted. The latest lager and the NB Blonde I have on tap would do well. Brewpub owner friend is pushing me to enter as many competitions as I can to get my beers out there and noticed, but I'm chicken.
I got three ribbons at the Wa State Fair last year, and this March got a 2nd place medal in Cascade Cup for my lager; I guess I'm not just chicken, I'm lazy too. Have to clean bottles (I keg), get the bottle filler set up, fill out forms, pay money, and schlep the entries to the dropoff site. Yep I'm lazy too.

Made my 1st attempt at creating copies of a yeast slant (Timothy Taylor).View attachment 648350
With the bottom filled in like you have it gas can build up and push the agar into the cap.

smaller vials and less agar will make it easier to keep the agar inside the vial and also to inoculate and retrieve yeast from the vial.

It is a long read but there is a lot of good information in the slanting sticky in the yeast section.

Dropped the temperature on the controller down to 50 to cold crash the Strata SMaSH in the ferment fridge, with an eye to kegging on Thursday. Dry hops went in last Thursday; a taste of it last night proves to be a bit grassy for my taste, so hoping some crashing will help it out.

Yep, I used the sticky amongst other articles to get started. Overfilling is definitely a newbie mistake. Thanks!
These are my slants of WLP076 old Sonoma ale yeast. This is the third time I re-slanted that yeast from one of the first a vault releases. Just put it in the fridge after a week on the counter.
IMG_1275 - Copy.JPG

I thought slanting would reduce the space requirements for storage compared to mason jars, but I think yeast follows a gaseous characteristic and will fill the vessel it occupies. I am up to about 25 strains, mostly vault or seasonal releases and a few Brew labs ones including the TT strain you did. That was the last brewlabs yeast I brewed with and it should be ready to sample in a few days.

Looks awesome! Hope mine work out like yours.
These are my slants of WLP076 old Sonoma ale yeast. This is the third time I re-slanted that yeast from one of the first a vault releases. Just put it in the fridge after a week on the counter.
View attachment 648481

I thought slanting would reduce the space requirements for storage compared to mason jars, but I think yeast follows a gaseous characteristic and will fill the vessel it occupies. I am up to about 25 strains, mostly vault or seasonal releases and a few Brew labs ones including the TT strain you did. That was the last brewlabs yeast I brewed with and it should be ready to sample in a few days.

@shetc If you do it according to the sticky you should be OK. Those looked like that after about 5 days, the ones I did from scrapes off of the brew labs slants filled in about a day or more sooner. I let them sit for a week maybe 8 days to makes sure they don't grow mold before going into the fridge.

View attachment 648481

This looks pretty slick. I may have to upgrade from the mason jars I currently use.

@JAReeves I still have the mason jars, maybe more. It takes a bit longer to work up a starter from a slant so I still save the yeast cake for at least a few brews. The first couple steps need sterile wort so I started canning starter wort which also needs mason jars.

It is a bit more work but I think it is a good way to keep a hard to get yeast going.

Guys & Gals,
I've been searching for very small 8mm hollow food grade red plastic balls to use in my sight glasses as level indicators. I finally found them and am getting ready to order. The more I order the lower the cost. It is easy to see the level of the boil kettle but not so easy in the mash tun or HLT. With these you will be able to see from across the brewery, garage, or patio. Anyone interested? My cost plus shipping. PM if interested.

Finished off my keg of Kama Citrabanero IPA. Tapped my next keg - Fresh Squished IPA. Started carbonating a chilled keg of Dead Ringer IPA. Then watched some of the last few bubbles escape from the air lock on my Brickwarmer Holiday Red. I need to brew some more beer so I don't run out. [emoji481]

Cleaned up my first bottle bomb. Something seemed off with a few Hefeweizen bottles. The one that exploded seemed thin glassed, so hopefully it was an anomaly. A couple other thin looking bottles were put in a cooler with ice, the rest in a Rubbermaid container snapped shut. Hopefully at least contain the explosion. Yikes.

I've never had any blow yet, but have had a few geysers on opening. Turned out I didn't stir in the sugar well enough when bottling. Some were fine, others required a sprint to the sink!

I’m really really hoping it was just a few thin bottles. I don’t have fridge space to get the entire batch cold. Guess I’ll find out in the coming days. Wife said the cats went nuts at the basement door around 10pm last night. That was probably my kaboom

IMG_2314.JPG
IMG_2317.JPG
IMG_2325.JPG
IMG_2324.JPG

Today I went to Admiral Maltings in Alameda, CA to check out their operation, sample some beers in their tap room brewed with their malt, and took a tour of their facility and learned about the malting process.
Had a great time there.
I plan to brew an IPA with their malt soon....

Cheers [emoji482]

Did a partial mash 1937 Courage Stout Porter from Shut Up About Barclay Perkins. It's cooling even as I type this. Gonna pitch my Beast Yeast (mix of English yeasties: 02,notty, pub, windsor, adnan's, burton, irish, w yorkie, whitbread, WLP026, WLP085) in the morning.

Full mash Red X & Carared American wheat. Just added the hops so another 30 minutes to go before shutting off the Brewers Edge and letting it cool down overnight. This one gets Danstar Munich Wheat (the non Classic version) tomorrow.

Also made several pounds of inverts of differing shades from invert 2 to invert 4.

I've had a good brew day!

Back