$130 for used biohazard Sanyo 4912 Fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexdagrate

Reaction score
What do you all think? This company, Biosurplus, is selling a used Sanyo 4912 for $130. Ony thing is, it has a huge "Biohazard" sticker on it.

Think it will be OK to convert into a kegerator?

EDIT: I think I should have posted this in a general discussion section, I SWEAR I meant this somewhat facetiously... I SWEAR! ;-)

Sanyo SR-4912M. Sanyo - SR-4912M: For Sale: LV11602643

a15481_1.jpg

Unless they can tell you what that thing was used for, I would suggest letting that one pass.

Pass. That obviously came from a lab.... and you never ever ever ever mix labs with food/beverage.

Pass. That obviously came from a lab.... and you never ever ever ever mix labs with food/beverage.

Agreed. Knowing what's in the fridge next to me right now with that same sticker, I wouldn't even consider putting a used lab fridge in my house.

I know this is a naive post so try not to flame me too hard but what is the worst case scenario? within reason

For $130, I would say you can def. do better. I probably wouldn't take it even if free.

What kind of lab. It could have had almost anything in it. Worst case scenario - anthrax, botulism, ecoli, aids tainted blood???.....

I know this is a naive post so try not to flame me too hard but what is the worst case scenario? within reason

We have those stickers in the hospital on the fridges that hold bodily fluids (blood, urine, sperm- you name it). How often do you spill getting things into and out of a fridge? Think about it- disturbing.

OK yeah good points. That was an even stupider question than I thought. My thoughts at first were--hell if it's somethign offensive but not dangerous you could maybe clean it out and be good to go. But my imagination failed me when I heard the word "biohazard".

They actually have no business selling that. Do yourself and your community a favor and report that post to craigslist/ the authorities. If there was anything that is a biohazard that was kept in that fridge, it needs to be disposed of properly.

You don't see posts on craigslist for a jar of used needles.

I used to own a business that did some biohazard clean up. While it could probably be cleaned up easy enough, why bother? It wouldn't be a very good price even if it had only been used for beer, and scottland is right that they shouldn't even be selling it.

I got an old fridge from a elementary school, same sticker. It was in the nurse's office and used to store insulin and other bottled medicine.

Unless there was blood, feces, and or other contagion - you should be OK.

I would say find out what was in it first. In reality no matter what was in that frig, it's probably way cleaner than the ones you keep your food in. Medical equipment is usually so clean it's ridiculous. Good scrub with some gloves and some bleach and it would be good as new. I'd prob take it. Even if it had blood samples or anything in it. If one of those samples were to spill or leak, they would have to decontaminate and sanitize the whole thing otherwise risk the destruction of all their samples. That would be bad for business. The biohazard sticker is doing it's job, making people stop to question the contents. And in reality, they don't store virus' in mini fridges.

And I was a little disturbed that my $60 used Sanyo had some dog hair included free with the purchase....haha. For free / ten bucks I might consider bleaching it three times and calling it good....but that is brand new sale price IMO!

Back