Stout on Beergas foam problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_m_s_00

Reaction score
I have a problem with a dry stout on nitro. I get a full glass of foam. I was pretty sure I did this all right so maybe someone can point out what is wrong. Ok, here’s the run-down. Carbed the stout to around 1 vol co2, it’s been sitting in the fridge for 1 week around 7°C. 10 foot 3/16 lines, stout faucet. 2 nights ago I hooked up the beergas mix set the regulator @ 30 psi, poured off 1/4 pint and poured a glass. Perfect pour!
Last night I went to get a pint and got a glass full of foam! So I thought it may be because of the tower or faucet being warm so I dumped it and tried a second glass, same thing! I’m a little confused because it was right the first night but not now. The only thing I can think could be wrong is the beergas mix. They said it was 75/25 but I think it must be just C02 which would overcarb the beer and cause a glass full of foam. Any ideas?

Why did you set to 30PSI? at a temp of 7 C you've now got about a 3.8 Volume, That's all the way at the top end of the scale. Personally I think you should be closer to 2

Why did you set to 30PSI? at a temp of 7 C you've now got about a 3.8 Volume, That's all the way at the top end of the scale. Personally I think you should be closer to 2
Not with 75:25 beergas. With 75:25 beergas you only get 25% of the total pressure as CO2; so at 30 psi beer gas you're really only carbing at 7.5 psi (25% of 30 psi) with the remaining 22.5 psi being as nitrogen.

Gunfighter,
I'm also a nitro noob but my guess is that there wasn't any nitrogen dissolved in the beer when you first hooked it up. Now that some nitrogen has dissolved, when it passes through the restrictor disk it knocks virtually all nitrogen out of solution so you get a bunch of foam. Nitrogen is about 100x less soluble in beer than CO2 but there is still some in there. Maybe try turning down the pressure just to see if you can get an acceptable pour.

I also found that it can be difficult to dial the whole thing when you have Russian Imperial Stouts on nitro. A couple of pours and you're :drunk:.

I set it at 30 psi because it is not CO2, but a Nitrogen/CO2 blend. it's really just used to push the beer at higher pressure through the restrictor plate in the faucet. The beergas does not disolve into the beer like regular CO2 does.

Nitrogen is about 100x less soluble in beer than CO2 but there is still some in there. Maybe try turning down the pressure just to see if you can get an acceptable pour.

I also found that it can be difficult to dial the whole thing when you have Russian Imperial Stouts on nitro. A couple of pours and you're :drunk:.

SpanishCastleAle, I was writing my reply when you posted :)

I'll try it around 25 psi next, but i guess i'll have to vent and degass the keg a bit first?

SpanishCastleAle, I was writing my reply when you posted :)

I'll try it around 25 psi next, but i guess i'll have to vent and degass the keg a bit first?
I'm not sure how much difference that will make (with pure CO2 it wouldn't make much difference at all) but since the solubility of nitrogen is so low it might. Other than using up a tiny bit of gas it couldn't hurt.

All this nitro talk has me jonesing for one of those nitro RIS's!

Back