Build Blog: Single Tier Brew Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrywise

Reaction score
Last night my friends and I began constructing my single tier stand. Having read a number of other people's builds on here I thought it only right to document mine as well.

First off a big thanks goes out to SouthernYankee's build as I'm using his build as the starting blocks for what I plan to do.

Secondly, I admit I'm most likely winging it 80 percent of the time and the other 20 percent I'm drinking so questions to me might not be your best bet :)

That said let's the pictures begin!

The metal: 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" 16g steel. Sixty feet cut into 5 foot lengths. Purchased locally from the Online Metal Store (but lucky for me they are local so no shipping costs)
brewstand01.jpg

brewstand02.jpg

Measure twice cut once?
brewstand03.jpg

Thanks to SouthernYankee for the design
brewstand03a.jpg

Now we're talking
brewstand04.jpg

Cleaning up the edges
brewstand05.jpg

First Weld being laid down!
brewstand06.jpg

Taking shape
brewstand07.jpg

The workspace
brewstand08.jpg

Making it square
brewstand10.jpg

We've got vertical
brewstand11.jpg

Pretty colors
brewstand12.jpg

We're going to inlay a piece of wood for the lower shelf so we used some spare 1/2"x1/2" steel for that.
brewstand13.jpg

That's a wrap for the night. Hopefully get more done this weekend
brewstand14.jpg

Love the many pics. I want to do the same when I move out of the city and into a house. This thread will be a great resource, thanks for taking the time.

I hate to see these threads. I want to go outside and kick my cinder blocks and shaky table and make a stand now.

Who's the photographer in the group? Some of the best looking build pics I've seen. Keep up the good work!

How long did it take you to complete what you have pictured?

After drinking some beer and eating some pizza we probably got going about 8pm and wrapped up at 11pm so three hours time.

Wire fed welding is pretty slick.

Who's the photographer in the group? Some of the best looking build pics I've seen. Keep up the good work!

Thanks. That'd be me, for the camera nerds in the group I set up an Alien Bee 800 flash unit and fired it with pocketwizards to get a bit better lighting than my garage lights.

Thanks. That'd be me, for the camera nerds in the group I set up an Alien Bee 800 flash unit and fired it with pocketwizards to get a bit better lighting than my garage lights.

That's awesome. What kind of camera are you using? If you can document the rest of your build this well, you should definitely submit them to BYO or another brew mag when you're odne. They really do look great.

Had the crew over last night to continue working on the brewstand. All was going pretty good until we blew a bearing out in the chop saw which put a halt on construction for a bit.

We got enough pieces cut to do two of the three openings and we were able to cut and fit the lower shelf. Once we get the saw up and running we should be able to finish the top and then work to install the burners and heat shields.

Hardware has arrived!
brewstand15.jpg

brewstand16.jpg

brewstand17.jpg

It once was a bearing
brewstand19.jpg

We did get enough pieces cut to do two of the three openings
brewstand20.jpg

Laying down more welds
brewstand18.jpg

brewstand21.jpg

Wood shelving cut to fit and installed. The butcher block kitchen countertop I think adds a nice look to it
brewstand22.jpg

From the bottom up
brewstand24.jpg

With the kegs and pump for reference
brewstand25.jpg

Looking good man. Really like the photos...

Im getting ready to build another stand. Sold the one I had made the thread for.
The new one is in the works. Its going to be a little different. Already drawn out on paper and the steel bought.

But in any case, yours is coming along great. Like the idea of the wood shelf for the bottom.
:mug:

Looking good man. Really like the photos...

Im getting ready to build another stand. Sold the one I had made the thread for.
The new one is in the works. Its going to be a little different. Already drawn out on paper and the steel bought.

But in any case, yours is coming along great. Like the idea of the wood shelf for the bottom.

I like the wood as well, I have some oak wood flooring leftover from a project, I thinkn I'm gonna do something similar with my stand. :mug:

I like the look of the wood but that ends up being a wet area for me sometimes. I guess if it is nicely sealed there wouldn't be a problem. It gives it a real nice look though.

I was planning on using some Diamond Plate Like Yankee but have found that I don't really need a shelf. It would look nicer.

any updates?

We normally would be getting together today to do some more work but are still waiting to fix the chop saw so we are skipping for the day. Hopefully this week we'll be back in business.

I did order two more burners to go with the one I already have. I think we'll be mounting those on a piece 1/2" x1/2 steel that I have. Next need to source some sheet metal for the windscreens and to make a cover for the pump.

After that we're still debating the best method to attach the caster wheels I have. They are the type that have four holes for bolting but we'd rather not weld them directly because we'd like the option of being able to add some washers if we need to level the stand.

Definitely the right product but I purchased from http://bargainfittings.com
so I could place just one order and also get my silicone tubing at the same time.

I need to stop working on other projects and get some work done on the stand! I think this weekend is gonna be a gather parts weekend.

That was my second guess...LOL

Waiting with interest.

Well after a few weeks off waiting to try and get our chop saw back up and running we broke down and just use the ole circular saw to make a few more cuts and get the show back on the road.

brewbuild01.jpg

bending the final windscreen

brewbuild02.jpg

All three installed and lining up the burners

brewbuild03.jpg

brewbuild04.jpg

brewbuild05.jpg

Fabricating the pump cover.

brewbuild06.jpg

brewbuild07.jpg

Calling it a night.

Next up paint, plumbing, electrical, and wheels.

Aren't you worried about not having any air/distance between the top of the heat shield and the kettles? I foresee some issues with not enough air for fuel mixture and exhaust gases. Also how are you going to be mounting the burners as I am going to be building a stand very soon with the same burners and plan to use a drop down bar to mount the burners to. The bar I think will be suspended with threaded rod so I can raise and lower the height. Lastly, are you cutting notches into the heat shields so you can raise the burners up into the shields?

Looks great.

This is completely random, but what kind of camera is being used for these pictures?! They quality of some of these shots is amazing! Some of them are worthy of being hung on a wall!

Aren't you worried about not having any air/distance between the top of the heat shield and the kettles? I foresee some issues with not enough air for fuel mixture and exhaust gases. Also how are you going to be mounting the burners as I am going to be building a stand very soon with the same burners and plan to use a drop down bar to mount the burners to. The bar I think will be suspended with threaded rod so I can raise and lower the height. Lastly, are you cutting notches into the heat shields so you can raise the burners up into the shields?

Looks great.

As to the distance between them I just modeled if after a few other builds I've seen on here. I'm assuming that I'll get enough air flow coming from the bottom of the shield. I guess we'll find out once I fire it up! :D

If you look close you can see that the burners are already mounted. The burners I used have a small threaded hole in the bottom so I ran a small piece of metal bar (1/2"x1/2") all the way across right below the wind screens. I then drilled a hole in the bar for each burner and bolted them in.

Lastly I used a 3" hole saw to cut a hole in each windscreen. When I get home I can take some more pics to show this.

This is completely random, but what kind of camera is being used for these pictures?! They quality of some of these shots is amazing! Some of them are worthy of being hung on a wall!

I'm using a Canon 5d Mark II w/ a 17-35 f2.8 lens. I use a Canon 580ExII flash on the camera and have been also using the on board flash to trigger an Alien Bees 800 series strobe off camera to give the shots a bit more punch.

If that went over your head don't worry :) I have a photography business that I do on the side which allows me to own some nice camera gear.

A few quick pics of how the burners are mounted to the frame.

burners01.jpg

I was much to quick to cut the holes in the windscreens w/o thinking it through fully. Having the burners go straight to the back doesn't leave any room for the gas to connect so it will stick out a bit. I think I'll plan to weld a small guard that will protect the fittings when I'm moving the stand around and while it is being stored against a wall.

burners02.jpg

burners03.jpg

The Bayou Classic BG-12 burners I am using were already threaded for a metric bolt so I used that to mount them to the 1/2x1/2 metal bar.

burners04.jpg

burners05.jpg

A close-up of the hole drilled into the windscreen. I used a 3" hole saw (had it from some previous door knob installations). The burners themselves are mounted so they'll be 3-3/4" below the top of the brew stand.

I installed the wheels to see how square the frame was and it is actually pretty darn close. I think a thin set of washers on just one wheel will have it completely stable.

pump_housing01.jpg

I also picked up some hardware to mount the pump housing and did a test run to see how that would work.

pump_housing02.jpg

Still need to disassemble everything and paint the frame. We plan to use a wire wheel on the whole thing and then paint it with high temp clear coat to keep the bare metal look.

Also my orifices and needle valves arrive on Monday so I'm looking forward to getting started on assembling the gas manifold and hopefully at some point seeing some flame on this thing.

I realized I never posted any finished pictures of my brew stand. I am thinking about dragging it into my "photo studio" (aka my basement) and taking some pics of it this week. Here is one I have of the finished stand.

I'm going to work on building a parts list for anyone that may be working towards their own stand and will post that up as well.

brewstand_top.jpg

brewstand_top2.jpg

Other than the lack of 45's on the top (I only say that because I struggled my ass off making 45's with my cutoff saw), it looks awesome.
I really like the back grating to protect the back of the bruners. if I can find some cheap, I might have to do that.
You going to paint it?

Back