Opening Brewery in Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewgineers

Reaction score
been homebrewing for a little while now and have just been curious as to the state laws in Ohio about manufacturing and distributing bottled and kegged beer. Have tried to understand the states website but always come up short. Can anyone help me understand the state laws and licensing for microbrewing?

that's a pretty loaded question. you should start by emailing someone at Ohio Liquor Control and asking them the initial questions you have. they will probably guide you toward their application/licensing area of that website and tell you to fill out the appropriate forms, etc. and then get back with any other questions you have. also seek advice/information from other breweries in the area (none of us will probably understand the specific workings of Ohio enough to really get you a decent understanding). just know that you need a building/location, equipment, etc. all lined up before you can get approved (at least that's how it is in iowa). you're kind of at the mercy of the state and federal governments after you have invested a lot of money and time to give you the permits needed. sorry i can't offer more help, but i think the people working in the industry in the area and the government officials are the best place to ask for elucidation on laws, permits, licensing, etc.

One of our HBT friends, Mirilis, opened a brewery. He lives in western OH, but I think he opened the brewery in Indiana, because of the laws in Ohio. You may want to check into the laws specific to Ohio, because I don't think Mirilis is online much these days. You could try sending him a PM though, just in case!

From a few folks I have talked to that have looked into it "we" here in Ohio have pretty heafty requirements to open a micro brewery. That is why there are so few of them. If I remember correctly there is a $ 10,000 annual licensing fee.

From what ive looked at i found only one licensing fee that might pertain to me and its roughly $4000 fee but I am unsure about if it applies to microbreweries only making a certain amount. Maybe I should get some face time with the governor. ;)

From what ive looked at i found only one licensing fee that might pertain to me and its roughly $4000 fee but I am unsure about if it applies to microbreweries only making a certain amount. Maybe I should get some face time with the governor. ;)

That is closer to the amount of the annual license hanging on the wall of the local brewery. That's a lot of beer just to pay for the 'right' to make beer....

Hey brewgineers, the license is $4,000 in Ohio. I'm also from dayton and am finally almost ready to get the micro up and running. Unfortunately it takes a lot of capital and the taxes are pretty steep here. You have to pay an excise tax up front as well before you produce any beer, basically you buy the rights to the amount of beer you plan on producing in the calendar year along with the license. There are also taxes paid on every bottle and keg you produce. As mentioned above, you also need a location/equipment before you can even apply for the license. If you want to know more just pm me anytime.

Not to get anyone as stoked as I am but Brewgineers Inc. is sitting down with the Ohio Governor tomorrow to discuss Ohio microbrewery laws and possibly sway him to put a new microbrewery permit because there simply isnt one in Ohio. When we spoke on the phone he sounded very positive about making this change. Will let everyone know the details tomorrow!!!!

Not to get anyone as stoked as I am but Brewgineers Inc. is sitting down with the Ohio Governor tomorrow to discuss Ohio microbrewery laws and possibly sway him to put a new microbrewery permit because there simply isnt one in Ohio. When we spoke on the phone he sounded very positive about making this change. Will let everyone know the details tomorrow!!!!

That is really cool that you actually get the opportunity to be heard. I currently live in beavercreek and have always thought that 10-15 years down the road I may like to start up my own brewery. I am amazed how few brewpubs there are in ohio especially SW ohio. I would love to hear more about your business plan and timeframe.

Hey brewgineers, the license is $4,000 in Ohio. I'm also from dayton and am finally almost ready to get the micro up and running. Unfortunately it takes a lot of capital and the taxes are pretty steep here. You have to pay an excise tax up front as well before you produce any beer, basically you buy the rights to the amount of beer you plan on producing in the calendar year along with the license. There are also taxes paid on every bottle and keg you produce. As mentioned above, you also need a location/equipment before you can even apply for the license. If you want to know more just pm me anytime.

Where are you going to be located and when are you opening up for business? I live just south of Dayton and would like to follow your progress.

met with Kasich today and i think it went pretty good. We discussed the possibility of making a microbrewery permit for Ohio and said he will try to have something on paper in the coming weeks

That is really cool, I live south of Dayton and it sure is a beer wasteland around here :mad:. Keep us informed with what is going on I am sure that there are a few Daytonians (is that what were are called ?) around here that would be intrested in giving a hand if it gets off the ground.

Man thats awesome! hopefully something comes of it. I've been tossing around the idea of a brewpub down here in cinci.

Do you go to Belmont for your brew ****? I think i might have seen you around after looking at the site.

Perhaps we will see faster results if we all sent Kasich some emails? I would love to see some reform as far as the licensing goes! Great job, brewgineers!

Is this the new Gov. Kasich? I would expect Strickland to be open minded about it, but I wouldn't count on much from Kasich...:)

met with Kasich today and i think it went pretty good. We discussed the possibility of making a microbrewery permit for Ohio and said he will try to have something on paper in the coming weeks

Oh, I should have read the rest of the thread before commenting...Can you tell I'm not a Kasich fan:)

Man thats awesome! hopefully something comes of it. I've been tossing around the idea of a brewpub down here in cinci.

Me too! I live in Over the Rhine where there used to be dozens of breweries back before prohibition. There are still tons of beautiful old brewery buildings standing that even have hand dug lagering cellars and secret tunnels beneath the buildings.
I would love to someday open a brewery in the neighborhood to help bring back OTRs brewing heritage.
Right now there's nothing in the neighborhood except a Sam Adams factory and a new Christian Morelein factory. No brewpubs at all. The area definitely has a void to fill. The only other microbrewers in the Cincinnati area are Mt. Carmel and Rivertown, both of which are located somewhere out in the suburbs:(
The Cincinnati brewing community needs to band together and put our city back on the map of being a brewing town.

Brewing licenses are typically authorized by statute so your legislature would have to vote to include a new license. I doubt the governor can administratively create one, but I am unfamiliar with Ohio law and procedure.

Have you also looked at obtaining the TTB permit? You will need both federal and state permits.

been homebrewing for a little while now and have just been curious as to the state laws in Ohio about manufacturing and distributing bottled and kegged beer. Have tried to understand the states website but always come up short. Can anyone help me understand the state laws and licensing for microbrewing?

A lawyer can.

A little tough love: if you aren't willing to read and re-read the public info until it makes sense, it is very unlikely you are prepared to put in the effort to open a brewery.

hatfieldenator- it's cool to see someone close to where i lived for a bit! i lived in northside and went to northside tavern and mayday a ton (nothside tavern mostly 'cuz they had avery on tap) Used to go into findlay market all the time as well.
back to the OPs stuff, Glad to see everything is changing over there (at least i hope!)

A little tough love: if you aren't willing to read and re-read the public info until it makes sense, it is very unlikely you are prepared to put in the effort to open a brewery.
not sure if youve read the entire thread but I have done my research throughly. Have we met for you to be making judgement calls about what kind of effort I put forth into things?

Do you go to Belmont for your brew ****? I think i might have seen you around after looking at the site.

Ive actually only been to Belmont a few times for my brewering supplies what I cant get for a good price online i tend to goto main squeeze in yellow springs.

Back