Looking for empty bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayoff

Reaction score
Hey guys.. long time reader.. first time posting..
I am getting ready to try my first homebrew and need some emptys.. Online the shipping cost more than the actually cost for a couple of cases... I was wondering if there is anyone in the Dallas, Texas area that might have some they could sell me at a reasonable price :) .. I am ready to get the fun started.

You could always throw a party... Or else drink heavily until you beer is ready to bottle.

I've been telling all my friends/family that drink good beer to save their bottles for me. I've also been checking recycling bins around my neighborhood. No joke, I've probably scored 2 dozen free bottles I can use in the past few weeks by doing this. I check when I'm out walking my dogs. I probably look like a hobo, but what do I care. Free bottles!

You wanna buy EMPTY bottles?!?! ;)

If I purchase any bottles, they come with great beer in them. Any microbrew you can find, with few exceptions will be in capaable bottles, all you need to do is soak them in oxyclean and the labels will slip off.

Even some macro beers come in crown rather than twist off bottles. One of my favorite is Bud American Ale bottles, they have a unique shape, the beer is not as nasty as their other products and it's cheaper than most micros.

But there are plenty of options for homebrewers that don't cost anything.

It seems at first that accumulating bottles is difficult but if you mention around to people that you brew and need crown bottles they will start showing up. There's also craigslist, and freecycle.org, hooking up with other homebrewers, recycling centers. Asking at beerstores that have a good selection of beer for their returnables. Some stores will let you have their empties for the price of the deposit. And some bars will give you all you can haul out if you ask.

Also if you want to bottle in champagne bottles, go to a hall that does weddings, heck even a moose or vfw hall, you might just have to dumpster dive at worst, or just pick cases of empty asti bottles by the back door.

It seems daunting but you'll get plenty really fast.

Join a homebrew club. We end up with probably 2 cases worth of empties after a meeting that nobody wants to take home.

Double-check the thread in my link, see if anyone local to you has bottles to give away. I gave away maybe five or six cases a few months back.

EDIT: Err, took it out of my sig. Here it is.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas everyone. I will not be getting my kit until the end of the weeks so I have plenty of time to round them up..The Hunt is on :)

you need bottles that are not screw tops.

I have browsed enough of these forums to figure that much out :) ... But I do appreciate the fact that your trying to help out a noob :rockin:

That is whats great about this find.. I had posted a wanted ad on craigslist and a Local Homebrewer responded to it.. So I get some bottles and get to me a local brewer :mug:

At .10 a bottle I just consider them free and the money is for the labor of removing the labels..

Now if I can remain patient.. First week of primary is under my belt... trying to resist the urge to pop the lid and look at it.. I can smell it through the airlock... Yum

Back