Southern Tier IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmick

Reaction score
Trying this for the first time tonight - not very pleasant. I'm wondering if I got a bad bottle or just am not a fan of the beer. Here's what I'm tasting and smelling, hopefully someone can confirm or deny that this is what it's supposed to taste like.

The smell and taste are what I would describe as very strong combination of pine and anise (black licorice) - almost to the point of being medicinal and offputting.

when I first opened the bottle, it was very over-carbed, almost a gusher.
I can't really detect any malt flavors, there is some backbone to it, but I can't get past the other [hop?] flavors.

I haven't met many IPAs that I don't like, but I don't know if I can finish this one.

what do you guys think?

I just had this beer for the first time last night - funny coincidence. Mine did not have the overcarbonation problem at all. It was carbed just right for an IPA. I like it at first, but then as I drank more I started to get turned off. I don;t recall any anise flavors (which I hate, so I would've instantly hated the beer if I had), but I don't think I'll be buying any more of it.

Latest posts

Back