Any chance hops can be infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bastido

Reaction score
So a few months ago I ordered a pound of three different hops. Chinook, Galena, and Target.

It seems that both batches I have made with the Target have either been infected or tasted really sour, to me. The first batch I threw out, couldn't drink it. Second batch, was really noticeable, but drinkable.

Both batches I made with the Target hops, were boiled. Aka no dry hopping, so I would think that the boil would kill any off flavors perhaps present in the hops. I have dry hopped with both of the other hops, chinook and galena with tasty results!!

Could this be possible, or is it just some strange coincidence?? Or just me obsessing too much, and infected the first batch myself?!@#$

My main reason for asking is that I have 10 oz left and wanted to use them again, but don't want to risk another infection, sour taste.

Let me know what you guys think. As always, thanks in advance!

Justin

I think it's pretty unlikely that the hops themselves are introducing the infection. Besides their natural antiseptic properties, like you said you're boiling the snot out of then.

Maybe try making a hop tea with some of the Target to see if you can isolate the off flavor to them? If it's not there, I'd start looking at other parts of my process...

If you're boiling the hops, there's no physical way they could have infected the beer.

You may just not like that particular hop.

If you're boiling the hops, there's no physical way they could have infected the beer.

You may just not like that particular hop.

+1 here.
I did another Nut Brown a while back that was awesome batch before last. My LHBS was out of East Kent when I made my last-minute trip to get a few things for the last batch. They recommended I sub Glacier for the East Kent, and not having had a chance to actually research a sub, I accepted the suggestion. The result - a beer that tasted "stale/old". The flavor kind of grew on me, but was NOT what I wanted or expected initially.
Hop flavor profiles have a significant impact of the finished product that may not be so readily apparent up front. Therefore, it may just be that you don't like THAT hop in THAT particular beer style.
As for infection, very well possible. But, NOT from the hops. Boiled or not, hops WON'T induce an infection in your beer. Look for other sources if it is really an infection.

Are the hops fresh smelling and looking?

I had some Fuggles that I bought in bulk and after a while they turned very yellow and sour smelling (even though they were vacuum sealed and frozen).

I threw them out because, even though I was going to be boiling them, I am SURE that the flavor of them would still be present, and that flavor could not have been good in a batch of beer.

I know they have a long shelf life when stored properly, but if they weren't before you bought them, could they have spoiled before you got them? How do they smell? That could be imparting a sour taste to your beer.

I don't actually know if they "spoil", but I've opened some old hops before that weren't sealed very well and they had a smell to them I could only describe as sour mixed with cheese. Definitely not something I'd want in my beer.

(..you beat me to it, Walker!)

I don't actually know if they "spoil", but I've opened some old hops before that weren't sealed very well and they had a smell to them I could only describe as sour mixed with cheese. Definitely not something I'd want in my beer.

(..you beat me to it, Walker!)

LOL. Yup. This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. Yellow color and smelling sort of like sour cheese.

Latest posts

Back