An hour and 15 to boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatherbigfoot

Reaction score
So I decided to try and boil 5.5gallons of water on my electric stove to see how long it would take. After an hour and fifteen minutes i finally had a rolling boil. Will this long start time effect my beer in any adverse ways? I have heard about hear sticks will these help boost boil time I really only need to get it to boil and then my burner can do the rest.
Also I have a 30qt stock pot is trying to do a 60 min boil at 5.5 gallons just asking for a boil over or should that be fine?
Thanks in advance
Loren

An hour and 15 minutes to boil would do very bad things to my beer because after about 45 minutes I'd have thrown the pot against the wall in impatient rage!

I'd definitely recommend looking into the heatsticks or boiling outside with a turkey fryer.

I can't think of any reason why a long start would impact the beer negatively. 30qt is big enough. I've got a 30qt pot and I've started at a little over 6 gallons before. You have to watch it though. I usually grab a good cigar and stand watch with a spray bottle until the hot break.

I re did it tonight with aluminum foil under the heating element and started with three gallons and boiled one gallon at a time in a seperate pot and then added it to the brew pot untill I was at 5.5 gallons 35 min later rolling boil and I did not have to spend any money

You won't hurt the beer any since nothing important is being done while you're waiting for the water to boil. As others have mentioned, the real drawback is the length of time it's going to take you to brew if you keep with that process. But at least you found something that looks like it will speed it up for you.

I have the same issue and my first two beers came out great! I wouldn't worry about it too much.

However, I am already extremely impatient with the wait time. So I am probably going to get an outdoor propane burner. ;)

Back