cheaper to buy immersion chiller than to build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ol' Grog said:
Yeah, I got HOSE CLAMPS out the yeng yang. I bent it the best I could so I now need advice as to how to hook it up and what would YOU do? One piece, the top part, sticks out past the brewing pot, the other, goes straight up along the pot but I couldn't get it to bend over the pot. So, which line would you use for the in and which for the out? I plan on using two hose clamps on the line that comes up above the wort but doesn't get over the pot, that is the line that starts at the bottom. I know the most important thing is that no water can drip back into the wort, hence the need for two clamps, as an insurance measure. I kind of think to have the cold in start at the bottom and work its way up to the top. Or should I do it the other way around?

In the long run, I don't think it matters. Thinking scientifically though, the coldest water should probably hit the hottest wort (at the top of the brew pot) because faster cooling of this hot wort will cause it to fall and contribute to circulation. If you hit the cooler wort at the bottom with the coldest water, it will have a tendancy to stay at the bottom.

Someone already mentioned about getting a sink faucet to hose adapter. I wanted to point out that Lowes/Depot sell plastic female hose thread to quick disconnect fittings in a two-pack for about $2. You can clamp your vinyl hose directly to this quick disconnect "nipple". It's a lot cheaper than a brass hose thread to hose barb fitting (4-6 bucks).

Bobby

Back