Co2 tank how big is too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I was just given a big co2 tank. I THINK it is a 20 pound tank. Is that too big to be practical?

I think 20lb is quite practical since it's the same size as a corny. Also, it's about the most I'd care to carry when full. Usually fills are cheaper as you go up in size but my local place just charges $1/lb. If you really think you'll be portable, a 5lb is more practical but you'd either need a convenient local exchange place or a backup tank.

That's wayyyy too big! You should give it to me! ;0)

Seriously, the bigger it is the less you have to fill it, but I hope you don't want to fit a 20# tank in your kegerator. If you're mounting it outside then you're fine, I personally have a 5# in my kegerator and it's lasted me through 11 15.5gal kegs.

I have a 20lb and no problems. I purge my secondary before filling and if you want to bottle something for long term storage you can purge the bottles before filling. There is no such thing as too big a CO2 cylinder.

Honestly. I have never understood why people store their CO2 cylinder inside their kegerator where space is a premium. Tubing is cheap. Put the cylinder somewhere convenient and out of the way.

I think 20lb is quite practical since it's the same size as a corny. Also, it's about the most I'd care to carry when full. Usually fills are cheaper as you go up in size but my local place just charges $1/lb. If you really think you'll be portable, a 5lb is more practical but you'd either need a convenient local exchange place or a backup tank.

Can you post their address? It cost me $20.00 to fill a 5 lb cylinder.

-a.

I have a 50 lb tank. Well, I rent it. It costs me $70 a year for the rental and fills are extra. I haven't had to fill it in over two years. Definitely not too big.

I have a 20# in my kegerator. Cost the same at Tucker Beverage $18 up to a 20# tank. I have heard of a cheaper place but then when you are filling a tank half a mile from your house who cares about 2 dollars

I have a 50 lb tank. Well, I rent it. It costs me $70 a year for the rental and fills are extra. I haven't had to fill it in over two years. Definitely not too big.

Wow tank leases here are for 20 or 50 years and they are only 50 bucks for a k size cylinder thats about 5 feet tall.

Pat

20 or 50 years?? Do they collect the tank from the deceased's estate? Who signs a lease for 50 years? I didn't have to sign any term. When I'm finished with the tank and return it, they just prorate the bill for whatever portion of the year I used.

I've got a 20# that is about 23 bucks to fill. Fits in the kegerator perfectly, but only downside is that there's a little less room for kegs. Last forever though!

I'd say that this is a little too big. Anything smaller than that and you're golden.

6000_Litres_Carbon_Dioxide_Transport_Tank.jpg

20 or 50 years?? Do they collect the tank from the deceased's estate? Who signs a lease for 50 years? I didn't have to sign any term. When I'm finished with the tank and return it, they just prorate the bill for whatever portion of the year I used.

I have five tanks for my welders that are on 20 year leases.

Pat

Honestly. I have never understood why people store their CO2 cylinder inside their kegerator where space is a premium. Tubing is cheap. Put the cylinder somewhere convenient and out of the way.

+1, get them out. And no, a 20lb tank isn't over doing it IMHO.

CO2_Tank.jpg

+1, get them out. And no, a 20lb tank isn't over doing it IMHO.

Where did you get those fittings for the sidewall of the fridge? Thats great! I was thinking of just drilling in the side and using a tight fitting gromet, but this looks way better. :mug:

Where did you get those fittings for the sidewall of the fridge?

Those are icebox shanks but I forget exactly where I got them (MoreBeer perhaps?). Many of the HBT vendors would have them I'd think. The steel and black outside washers I picked up from Ace Hardware. Finished it the same on the inside as well to eliminate cold air loss. Here's a close up.

icebox shank.jpg

Where did you get those fittings for the sidewall of the fridge? Thats great! I was thinking of just drilling in the side and using a tight fitting gromet, but this looks way better. :mug:

You can also get those at kegconnection, I know , cus they sent me one by accident.:)

I just had a fiver exchanged for the first time $19.95 I almost dropped a load. It cost 23 to get the twenty pounder exchanged. Only reason i did it was because i have a wedding to go to next weekend with 10 gallons of HB . I hate carrying the 20 lb around .

Nope never again I have to find someone who will fill the fiver next time. So go as big as you can

Edit: found a place but its still expensive

if your not worried about getting all of 5# in it, make a coupler and invert the 20#. i use my 5# only for mobility because of the high fill price.

I was planning on doing just that. The tank is a 2008 so I have a few years before it needs testing. I already have a high pressure CO2 line that I will make a coupler to hook up to the fiver from the 20

Back