Java Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatMac

Reaction score
I'm about to move my Java Stout into the secondary, where I need to add 8 cups of coffee. I have just over 5 gallons of brew in my primary right now, and am afraid that when I add it with the 8 cups of coffee in the secondary I won't have much head space.

How much head space do I need in my 5 gallon glass carboy to be safe?

If your fermentation is over, then none! Headspace is only beneficial when you're fermenting, so the krausen doesn't immediately blow off through the airlock. But, if you wanted to keep that room you could always use more coffee grounds with less water. OR, you could cold steep the coffee grounds overnight in 4 cups, and still end up with plenty of coffee flavor.

hmmm, I was just planning on brewing a really strong 8 cup pot and putting it in. What do you recommend?

Cold-brew the coffee, let the grounds steep overnight in filtered water in a sanitized container and then filter and add. Let the bitterness come from your grains, not the coffee :mug:

Back