Immersion Chiller build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdaddy

Reaction score
Building an IC for my keggle (50 ft 1/2inch). At the start I'm going to be doing 5 gallon batches only.

Anyways, I have a problem in that I didn't have anything to wrap the coil around (no keg, etc.) I sort of did it by hand and it is just not a very clean wrap (nothing like the ones I see in the youtube video). Not all the coils are the exact same size and there's parts of the coil where there are gaps between the tubes, etc. I worked it as best I can, but I kept trying to clean it up and it's even started to kink at one end so i'm reluctant to keep trying to work it to improve my wrap.

Is there any issue with it not being perfectly coiled (the coils are all evenly matched and touch each other?). If it's just a cosmetic thing, I have no problem leaving it like it is...but just wondering if it's going to affect my cooling at all?

The appearance will not affect performance at all.. If you are bent on finding a something to wrap it around for a nominal cost you can buy the footer tubes from Lowes for ~$5 for 8" and ~$8 for the 12"..

I thought we had a conversation about ICs before, and the "scientific" answer was that it was more efficient if the wort could get in between the coils, IOW, the coils should not be touching.

Am I amemberin' correctly on that one?

Looks don't matter. However 50 feet of 1/2" sticks out of a 5 gallon batch and you waste a lot of the cooling power. I would cut it into two 25' sections and weave them (interlock?) together. That way all the coils are under the wort and you will be cooling super fast. Then if you ever go to 10 gallon batches you could sweat them back together in a taller structure. Somewhere else on HBT you will find some sample pics of what I am talking about.

Latest posts

Back