Maltodextrin vs Dextrine Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroovePuppy

Reaction score
Is Maltodextrin the extract equivalent of CaraPils/Dextrine Malt?

I've asked this question before and I see some vague mentions of it in here, but I don't have a good feel for the answer. According to Palmer:How to Brew - By John Palmer - Gravity vs. Fermentability

The heavier body is nice to have in a stout for example; all-grain brewers would add American Carapils malt (a.k.a. Dextrin Malt) to their mash to produce the same effect. Brewers using extract have the alternative of adding Malto-Dextrin powder, which is a concentrated form. Malto-Dextrin powder has no taste, i.e. it's not sweet, and is slow to dissolve. It contributes about 40 points per pound per gallon.

I see mostly disagreement in the forums however, that the two things have different effects. My purpose is to avoid adding as many "miscellaneous" items to my brews and do as much with grain as possible so I'd like to substitute CaraPils for Maltodextrin in any recipes I attempt.

I'm also confused by the last part of Palmer's statement. He claims Maltodextrin adds 40ppg but BeerSmith doesn't even register it. How does it add body without adding gravity? Is BeerSmith wrong?

Yes, you can use substitute CaraPils for Maltodextrin in any PM or AG recipe. Carapils will add other minor components, just because it is a grain.

I don't use BeerSmith, but it might exclude MD because it is completely non-fermentable. Since its impact on OG and FG are identical, it throws the attenuation calculations off. It's really simple to adjust the programming though and I can't think of any reason to not make those adjustments.

OK, that sounds like a better answer. "Does the same but a few extras" makes more sense.

The problem with BS missing the gravity contribution is it would be easy to get spooked by your "actuals" into thinking the beer hadn't fermented out completely. Seems sloppy to me.

Nice thing about the MD powder is you can add it to the keg or bottling bucket if the beer seems a bit thin / overattenuates for style. It's a great cheat to fix an otherwise broken brew. ;)

As I understand most malto-dextrin has about 12% fermentable sugars in it. There is no standard and some may be different.
AHS said:
Malto dextrin is approximately 12% fermentable. It is used to increase body and creaminess, and also to add mouthfeel. It may be added during the boil or at bottling time.

I have added at priming and I do seem to get some extra carbonation from it. I have not used much cara-pils because I have so much un-malted wheat that I use it as a sub.

Latest posts

Back