malto-dextrine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakey971

Reaction score
So.
I have a batch I am leaving in the primary.
Going for a honey taste, I added quite a bit about 1/2 way through the boil.
After brewing this first batch, I found this forum, where I learned that the honey will probably make the batch a bit thinner.

I am more a fan of maltier beers with a nice thick mouth-feel.
The guy who runs our local brew store gave me some malto-dextrine, which
helps with this, correct?

With my beer already in the primary (8 days), is there any way
to take advantage of the this malto-dextrine?

Thanks.
:mug:

If it was me I would add it when bottling or kegging. Just rack on top of it just like priming solution.

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge here........

I was under the impression that you could bottle straight from the primary.
Just move it 6 or something hours into place before you do so.

So, besides racking on to it, would it be a bad idea to just stir it in?

Yes, you can stir it in now. Just make sure you don't splash around and you will be fine.

If you don't have a separate bottling bucket I would advise you to get one. If you try to bottle from your primary you will have to stir the priming solution in stirring up the trub in the process. Unless you are using priming tabs I wouldn't bottle from the primary.

You want to dissolve any dry ingredients in a little water before adding into a carboy though. There can be a lot of dissolved CO2 in the beer right now and throwing in something dry and powdery can give nucleation sites for all that gas to come out of solution. Think mentos in diet coke.

Forget about the honey taste if you added the honey half way through the boil though. There won't be any honey taste left.

Another thing I learned the day after I did it.

I may have too adventurous a spirit too early on in this.
My next batch will be direct from recipe.
I forget who's recipe it is, but I found a pretty good looking
Nut Brown on here.

Back