defying science (boiling point)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanyP321

Reaction score
I have installed an very big heating element into a plastic fermenter.

Just did a test run - water reached 4 degrees above boiling point (at all points in the water) and I got gentle boil. It was violent over the element...but everywhere else was more of a relaxed boil.

Any ideas how I can fix this? Do i need another element?

Thanks

boiling point of water will vary depending on the amount of dissolved minerals/salts (more salts will elevate the BP) and of course your elevation.

Are you saying you want a more vigorous boil throughout? If so maybe another element would help.

i was led to believe that vigour was of importance when I advance from basic brewing?

Dissolved sugars will raise the boiling point of the solution, one half degree celsius for every 180 grams of sugar. Not sure what you want to do with that tidbit--I just found your question interesting and it sent me searching online!
It's not your altitude, unless you're brewing on a submarine.

Get an accurate thermometer.

+1

Unless you're living below sea level (Sealab 2020), I'd say it's the thermometer.

Occam's razor here. The most obvious solution is probably the correct one. Unless you've spent money on a decent brewing thermometer, chances are the one you have is off. I know the first two that I had (before I spent $15 on a good one) were off by a good bit.

Subtract 4 from the thermometer's reading at all times.

I would be much more concerned about scorching the wort.

Back