Has anyone tried to make Vegemite out of your trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrerRabbitBrew

Reaction score
Would anyone want to?

I just learned that vegemite is made with brewers yeast, now I want to make some even though I've heard it's horrible. Might be better than dumping my trub down the toilet.

When I lived in Cairns, everybody thought it was funny to feed vegemite to the american. It is probably in the top 3 of my "worst foods ever" list. Right behind natto and durian. I've never even seen a thread about anybody trying this here. If you attempt it, please to post pics and results. I'm horrified and curious.

When I lived in Cairns, everybody thought it was funny to feed vegemite to the american. It is probably in the top 3 of my "worst foods ever" list. Right behind natto and durian. .

I am an American and I love Vegamite.

I am an American and I love Vegamite.

You have my sympathy ;) No, I kid... it's just a strong flavor and not for me. Mind you, it was about 20 years ago when I went over there, and I'm not sure how widely known it was back then; I just know a lot of people wanted to make me try it on toast :(

neosapien said:
When I lived in Cairns, everybody thought it was funny to feed vegemite to the american. It is probably in the top 3 of my "worst foods ever" list. Right behind natto and durian. I've never even seen a thread about anybody trying this here. If you attempt it, please to post pics and results. I'm horrified and curious.

Never had durian, but otherwise yep, right there with you. That stuff just fails on all levels, appearance, smell, taste, texture. How the Aussies use it in everything is beyond me.

Mongrel said:
You can smell the durian trucks from several blocks away. The smell overwhelms raw sewage, dead dog, and pretty much everything else. Horrible stuff.

Oh yeah, I've heard the hype. There's an international grocery not far from me that sells it and I'll probably get one someday out of morbid curiosity.

Getting back on-topic...how does one make Vegemite anyway?

Interesting, I like durian, natto, and Vegemite. Considering the prohibitive cost of Vegemite in the US, I hope someone knows how to make it

Good show man. It doesn't look easy but I might try it just for the fun of it. I should probably make a tasting video to record for the ages. I'll report back.

I lived in OZ for 11 years and I can say without hesitation their breakfast tucker sux. Thick uncooked bacon,scrambled eggs you have to eat with a straw and Vegemite. I liked their rugby and women though.

The problem with it is most Americans try to smear it on like its a last meal. With Vegemite a little goes a long way and less goes further.

I've been looking for a Marmite recipe for quite a while (never had Vegemite, but it's supposed to be similar). I love the stuff but it is expensive here. Every time I dump my spent yeast I feel so wasteful....

I'm probably wrong but I believe at one time Vegemite was banned in the US. A shame really. There is a store around here called World Market, they sell the stuff. About eight bucks for a small jar. To me it's heaven on earth. I like it on buttered toast, then vegemite and then a slice of cheddar cheese. Nothing else like it. Marmite is a runner up.

Seems as though Spam, not the computer stuff in you email and vegemite are byproducts of WWII

I didn't find a jingle for spam but am sure there is one..

Vegemite
We're happy little Vegemites
As bright as bright can be.
We all enjoy our Vegemite
For breakfast, lunch, and tea.
Our mummies say we're growing stronger
Every single week,
Because we love our Vegemite
We all adore our Vegemite
It puts a rose in every cheek

As usual, lot of stuff on wikipedia.

Vegemite was introduced in the early 1920's, when Marmite imports were disrupted after WWI.

Spam hit the market in 1937, a couple of years before WWII.

Back