Screwed up beer, never again.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blk94f150

Reaction score
Well I fermented my last Irish Red upstairs where I alway do. But it was middle of the summer and the temp was off the thermo strip so I'm guessing mid 80s. After 6-7 weeks and 2-3 on the Co2, it still tastes very hot and just not very good. Could be my first batch dumped.

Luckily my American Amber that is really quite dark turned out OK in the same conditions. Thank you US-05. It's drinkable but not good.

That makes for 3 not so great beers in a row including the Summer Ale that I used WB-06 in and I got that same sour/watery taste that others did with this yeast.

So I'm not screwing around anymore. Just finished brewing 5 of Edwort's Haus Ale and it's in the freezer with the new Ranco set on 65. Two more freezers of 16-20cuft are planned. One for ales and one for lagers/cold crashing/conditioning and carbing. The last will actually be a freezer.

I also just scored 2 Coors kegs so it's off to 10 gallon batches that will be nice now that I'm doing all grain.

Just wanted to vent my frustrations. I'm in the midst of a beer shortage/crisis and need a bailout.

Mike

RDWHAHB. Its all good. I was going to suggest the frozem bottle method for keeping fermentation cool, but I see that your new freezer is taking care of that.

Brew on!

I fermented my Belgian at 80f and it tasted very good going to the secondary. It is with Wyeast 3726 and they say it is good to 95f. My other brews have been at 70f, most seem to think that is too hot but all of my brews are delicious. :D

With this beer it has that alcohol hot taste. It's terrible actually and I can't even stand the smell. It's just a case of what works in the winter won't in the summer. This closet is in a front room where the sun warms it a lot and the computer is in there as well so it gets even hotter.

Mike

I think a lot of new brewers focus on recipes and obsessive sanitation, when one of the most critical factors on beer quality, fermentation temperature, takes a backseat. You can hit everything PERFECT; gravities, volumes, sanitation, recipes, etc...then ruin a beer by fermenting it hot. Live and learn.

Your steps to improve your ferm temps will payoff, big time.

I had the same problem with my first brew not too long ago. I kept it in our closet, but my mobile home's temp fluctuate's so much. And it usually stay's hot from mid morning til late evening. So I ended up grabbing a small fridge off cl and getting a johnson controller for it. It works for me.

:mug:

I've heard coopers ale yeast is supposed to tolerate heat pretty well. I can't speak for it at real high temps but I just fermented a batch of pale with it keeping it around 67 F in a water bath, no rehydration or anything just sprinkled it on my aerated wort, and it hit fg by 3 days from brew. Hydrometer sample tasted great -- maybe give it a try if you are gonna be working on the warm side? Then again sounds like you are getting things taken care of with the freezers...

Back