priming technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty3777

Reaction score
I am ready to prime my second batch (next week) and I have a question about technique. I simply put the priming sugar in the bottom of the bottling bucket and racked the beer over the top of the sugar (against the side of the bucket). Then I gently stirred the sugar into the beer. I have been reading posts where it is recommended that you first add the priminmg sugar to hot water then to the beer.

So, is there a read issue here before my next bottling date - or will both techniques produce the same results if done carefully?

Dry sugar will be very hard to evenly mix without aerating the crap out of your beer.

Boil 1 cup of water and 3/4 cup sugar, add to the bottling bucket, then rack on top. It will pretty well mix itself, and you'll be rewarded with more even carbonation from bottle to bottle.

Yep you need it in liquid form and boil it long enough to sanitize. You will get much better carbonation results.

I would assume that your beer will be fine. Even carbonation is crucial to avoid bottle bombs and under carbed beer. Use Kahuna's technique and you will be very happy with your results.

Back