What would you pair with Crabs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJTomatoguy

Reaction score
dinner.jpg

I was going to say a razor and some kerosene but yeah, an APA or a nice IPA would go great with that.

You don't want an IPA. Crab meat has a very delicate taste that will easily be overwhelmed by a strong beer flavor. Keep it light and crips. I would say a Kolsch or a light lager.

Say what you want, but when I think spicy maryland blue crab, I think Heinekin.

PLEASE DON"T SHOOT ME-

The beer in the mug is

Natural Light.

I'm Sorry and promise it will never happen again once my beer gets
ready.

I don't have enough Yuengling, and didn't think Newcastle would go well withe the crabs, so I resorted to the Bud they spilled during brewing..

Bob

Eh, Natural Light is fine. It doesn't pretend to be something it's not. It's cheap swill, and that's exactly how it's marketed. Sometimes those cheap beers are actually better than their more well known competitors. I'll take a PBR, Schaefer, or Schlitz over the rest of the standard BMC light offerings.

Eh, I'll take a PBR, Schaefer, or Schlitz over the rest of the standard BMC light offerings.

Coincidently, I had my first PBR the other night and it was pretty good. Better than BMC for sure.

Bronze Medal in the World Beer Cup 2008!!!!

Category 33: American-Style Light Lager (34 Entries)
Gold Old Milwaukee Light
.......Pabst Brewing Co.
.......Woodridge, Illinois
Silver Lone Star Light
..........Pabst Brewing Co.
..........Woodridge, Illinois
Bronze Natural Light
..........Anheuser-Busch Inc.
..........St. Louis, Missouri

When I saw the title of this thread, I wondered how many responses it would take before someone said something like this :D

What you mean like "Ointment from the doctor" or "a hot girl to eat with 'em/give them to/scratch them"

I would agree with some of the Lighter Lager choices, just not domestic, i'd say that Pils-Urquel or maybe Spaten would go nice, and fairly easy to find. IPA would be too domineering as would most Ales.

Plenty of old bay in the boil water, also some whole peppercorns.
Sprinkled paul prudhommes seafood seasoning on while still wet out of the pot.

They came out great!

I just got word that some friends are planning a trip to Maryland in October 2011, and it got me thinking about this question: what should I brew to go with the ludicrous amount of Maryland blue crab that will be consumed on the trip? Historically when I've visited the area, I've had whatever macro-lager the particular crab shack had cold, but this trip will be my first chance to bring along some homebrew. From reviewing this and a few other threads, some sort of summer ale seems to be the general concensus (which is good, because I don't currently have a way to lager), but was hoping for a few more opinions. Any suggestions?

Mmmmmmmmm...Old Bay...........

When Guiness still made Guiness Gold that was my beer of choice when feasting on Crabs.....that or like someone else said Nattybo!

Back