Pitched yeast @ 90 deg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarayny

Reaction score
hi guys, I been reading alot in this forum and found pitching in yeast at 90 deg is not good. I was following the directions on the wheat ale that was looking for a 90 deg temp for yeast to be added, any idea on how bad this batch is going to be, or problems??

90° is not going to hurt the yeast so okay there. Get the temp down to the recommended fermentation temperature as soon as you can and it should be fine.

Like Nurmey said, pitching at 90 degrees isn't going to harm the yeast. However, if fermentation continues at that temp, you will get all kinds of bad off flavors.

I think what the recipe is saying is that be sure to pitch below 90. If u get above this or above 100 u risk killing the yeast. What is more importatnt is getting the temp to 70 as quicky as possible. U are better of getting it down to this and pitching the yeasty and than holding the temp.

Jay

What's the recipe? It might still be OK, particularly if you can condition it in a secondary for a couple of months (but that depends on the type of beer you brewed).

Expect some fruity esters and perhaps some hot alcohol or solvent-like notes. These tend to dissipate somewhat with time, especially in a darker, heavier brew.

Next time, if you recognize early that you pitched too warm, quickly get your bucket or carboy into a big rubbermaid container full of coolish water. There is a bit of lag before the yeast go into the cycle where the worst off flavours are produced.

Hope it turns out! :mug:

the 1st batch of beer I ever made I pitched the yeast when the temps where at 105 cause I read that if u didn't pitch the yeast right away you can risk contaminating the beer....lesson be learned I'll never do that again. On the plus side it did ferment but didn't make a very good extract wheat beer. Oh well you only learn by failing

Did you pitch a starter culture or a non rehydrated dry culture? If it was dry it might not have even "woken up" and by the time it did it was possibly at a cooler temperature so all would probably be fine. You would not have killed your yeast at 90 degrees (they're pretty resilient) but if they ferment at a high temperature you get an extra set of off reactions occurring. 90 degrees is in the range of the beginnings of "heat shocking" a yeast cell and they need to change their metabolism while at higher temperatures to survive.

TLDR: It'll probably be fine in the long run. Just let it condition. Trust in the Yeast.

My first beer, years ago, was pitched at 90 degrees.

I misread the instructions on the dry-yeast that said to HYDRATE at 90 degrees, or add directly to wort.

I took that to mean I should add directly to the wort, while it was 90 degrees. Turned out fine, though it meant that I aerated while it was hot, and had some off flavors as a result.

Live and learn.

nick

I dry pitched it, It seemed to ferment very quickly, done after 3 days, fg was high .12 is idea, I was getting .2with taking temp into reading. og was dead on at .52. had a taste today, seemed very hot on the alcohol like flyguy mentioned, besides that tasted good. Any ideas on the fg???

Back