Brown sugar bust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
I tasted my hard cider that I started in mid-October and it has a very bitter taste when it hits the back of my mouth. Up front, it is very tart, but palatable. When it hits the back of my tongue, a bitter aftertaste appears. :drunk:

I wondered if this was possibly caused by the 2 pounds of dark brown sugar I used to ferment? I had not read enough at that point to know that brown sugar lends an increased tartness to finished cider.

Anyone experience this, and is there anything I can do to improve it? I will be thrilled even if someone says it just takes a boatload of time. I would rather leave it to bulk age for months than think it's a loss.

Thanks!

not really a loss, just chalk it up to experimentation... I made a batch with 2 pounds dark brown, and it was quite tart as well... Not sure if aging will help any, as that batch didn't last too long around here... if all else fails, you can send it to me for proper disposal... :drunk:

Adolphus79 said:
not really a loss, just chalk it up to experimentation... I made a batch with 2 pounds dark brown, and it was quite tart as well... Not sure if aging will help any, as that batch didn't last too long around here... if all else fails, you can send it to me for proper disposal... :drunk:
If it doesn't taste any better in a month or two, I might do just that! :cross:

I have used brown sugar for fermenting and carbonating with no problems. It definitely would not contribute bitterness.

cheezydemon said:
I have used brown sugar for fermenting and carbonating with no problems. It definitely would not contribute bitterness.

Yeah, I was hoping it could have been the sugar, but mostly that's just because I don't want to face facts that it might be either infected or something else went wrong with it. The really sad part is that I made pretty tasty cider with 1 gallon of bottle juices, and have apparently f$cked up 5 gallons of the tastiest fresh cider I've ever had. :(

Oh well, I'll let it age (unless it turns into vinegar, in which case I'll bottle and gift to family!).

I have tried both light & Dark Brown Sugar.

The light adds a slight hint of tartness that is not to bad.

The Dark on the other hand is very tart :( , and needed a little back sweetening to make it more drinkable. I have some aging to see if it improves with time.

Try mixing with a little fruit concentrate, sugar or splenda, right before drinking. This will help cut the tartness/bitterness.

YooperBrew said:
Also, aging might mellow the flavor enough that it might be perfect! I would say at 7 months, you'd have a good indication of the "final" flavor.

Ok, thanks for the "deadline" so to speak. I will rack it over once more and leave it until May.

I have a pilot batch of raspberry apfelwein going right now and I used 1 gallon cider & 1 lb dark brown sugar in the primary, and 12 oz of frozen raspberries in secondary. I took a reading and a sample today and it's @ about 11% right now :drunk: and still going (that's why I've changed the name from hard cider to Apfelwein)! Mine tastes tart as well, but it's a good, fruity tartness...& I believe raspberry flavor will help mask it (and if not, then I'll back sweeten @ bottling). If you don't want to leave it to chance for the next 6-7 months, you might want to try crushing some fruit and racking it overtop of it. I've also got a Blueberry hard cider going as well...have'nt tasted it but it really smells good! Just a suggestion.

Latest posts

Back