Campden tablets - how long to let the water sit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
So before, i had crap results with the water i was using and campden. Reason being is i had free chlorine and not chloramines.
After i spoke with the water department about this, i let the water sit out over night and agitated it with a large spoon when i walked by, this worked wonderfully and the beer tasted awesome (i always used RO water, but got super lazy and wanted to use tap)

However, the problem now arises that i moved across town into Portland; they use chloramines.

So, i'm aware that the campden will resolve the issues with chloramines, but i can't find really information on how long to let the water sit after adding the campden.

Does the reaction happen immediately? does it need to sit out over night? Or do i just crush it to a powder and stir it in and it's immediately awesome?

i'm just worried that if i don't let it sit overnight, it'll still have stuff left over inside of it...

Crush into a powder, and stir it in. An immediate reaction occurs. 1/4 of a tab campden, per 5 gal of water.

Awesome! just what i wanted to hear :)

Also, would a water district use chlorine and chloramines? or just one or the other?

Usually just one or the other.

I usually crush my tablet between two spoons and put in a small mason jar with a lid and mix it up good with some warm water. (I already have this ready from adding minerals to my water) and add it to the mash tun or boil kettle, then pour the water on top of it.

Awesome! just what i wanted to hear :)

Also, would a water district use chlorine and chloramines? or just one or the other?

It doesn't matter. They may use both. The campden tablet dosage is virtually the same for either disinfectant.

As mentioned above, the reaction is instantaneous. However, the degree of mixing will affect the neutralization of all disinfectant. Add the crushed tablet powder, mix thoroughly, wait a couple of minutes and there should be complete dispersion of the reactants.

Unlike wine, we brewers usually end up boiling the treated water and the opportunity to carry sulfites into the finished beer is quite low. Boiling drives off the excess sulfite. So overdosing should not have an adverse effect. I would still try to not seriously overdose though.

There is an entire Sticky on this subject. Read that.

I read it. But saw nothing on how long it takes for the campden tabs to work. It cleared up all other questions, though.

Thanks for all the replies!

Ah cool, after i posted that i panic'd a bit thinking i had missed something :) happy brewing!

Thanks for the added assurance David, because I just bought some Campden tablets and they don't look the easiest thing to cut into a 1/4. I'm definitely gonna try to cut it accurately but I will probably end up slicing my finger trying to cut these suckers.

Thanks for the added assurance David, because I just bought some Campden tablets and they don't look the easiest thing to cut into a 1/4. I'm definitely gonna try to cut it accurately but I will probably end up slicing my finger trying to cut these suckers.
Pick up a pill cutter at your pharmacy for a couple bucks. Your grabbers will thank you.

Back