Trouble with a hefe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
Good morning!

I kegged a hefe that had that great banana flavor that I love and life was great. Well, a few weeks later, I pulled a draw and found an earthy, almost mushroom flavored hefe where my fantastic bananas were. It isn't an infection, I don't think... Did I cold shock the yeast out and loose my bananas there? If I give it a good shake, will I Get em back?

Ever had this happen?

Thanks

I wish! ----------->:ban:

I would bet a lot of yeast flocced out after sitting in a keg for two weeks. Even hef yeast will drop out if you keep it cold for a long time. You probably just got an extra yeasty glass.

Yeah, I did the same thing on a hefe when I first started kegging.

With most beers, you'd let it sit, let all of the yeast and heavy proteins settle, and pull them out in the first draw to clear the beer.

With hefes, you want the majority of the wheat protein and yeast to stay in suspension, so if you do allow it to settle, turn the keg upside down before you take that first draw to get all of the hefe yumminess back in suspension.

Back