Homefront IPA / Hops For Heroes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhamilton

Reaction score
I was kind of surprised nobody has posted here yet - but check out the Homefront IPA Project.

It's part of a larger project called Hops For Heroes. So hopefully is this is successful, there will be more beers brewed in the future for our veterans.

St. Arnolds bottles should be hitting shelves this week. Other breweries producing are:

Fremont Brewing, Seattle, WA
Sly Fox Brewing, Phoenixville, PA
21st Amendment Brewing, San Francisco, CA
Cigar City Brewing, Tampa, FL
Perennial Artisan Ales, St. Louis, MO

If you see it on shelves this weekend, pick it up! 100% of proceeds go to Operation Homefront. It's an IPA with orange zests and aged on *drumroll* six oak Louisville Sluggers! I'm picking up some bottles on the way home tonight -- I'll post some pics later tonight.

Props to the breweries for donating their time and equipment. Also thanks to the suppliers -- apparently everything from malts, hops, bottles, bats, boxes, labels, design work, and printing plates were donated by several companies. It's good to see a huge collaborative effort come together for a good cause. Oh yea, and there is beer too :D

Thanks for the info! Always gotta love something that supports our Troops/families!!! Even better when it is beer and baseball related!!! :mug: Cheers to all our Heroes!

A touch expensive @ $8 / 22oz, but you have to remember it is for a cause.

Incredibly clear, medium gold pour with a pinkey-finger sized, soapy white head which only lasted a few minutes before dissipating. The picture doesn't do it justice at all.

Strong, sweet aroma of pine with flowery notes -- almost rose-like. Quite enjoyable!

Tastes like a well-refined American IPA; strong Cascade flavors with a very clean, unique bitterness which is well-balanced and not overbearing. Just a tiny hint of oak from the Louisville Sluggers is there, but I really had to take several sips to identify and appreciate it.

The finish is great - palate cleansing without lingering bitterness and the aroma sticks with you for a bit. Overall a very very good American IPA.

2012-05-22_22-00-34_832.jpg

2012-05-22_22-02-04_855.jpg

Fremont started this last year, I believe, and the beer was superb. I'm not sure if all the breweries are using the same recipe or not, but the descriptions sound similar. It's great to see this kind of generosity in the brewing business. I hope it continues to spread. Cheers.

Fremont started this last year, I believe, and the beer was superb. I'm not sure if all the breweries are using the same recipe or not, but the descriptions sound similar. It's great to see this kind of generosity in the brewing business. I hope it continues to spread. Cheers.

I think the recipe is the same, except for yeast -- Saint Arnold used their house yeast.

A more informative page has been created here -- shows all the details of the brew. I'll definitely be creating a recipe and adding to my collection.

Cool. It would be fun to collect all of the versions and taste them next to eachother. Anyone interested? I can pick up Fremont's for trade.

I think the recipe is the same, except for yeast -- Saint Arnold used their house yeast.

A more informative page has been created here -- shows all the details of the brew. I'll definitely be creating a recipe and adding to my collection.

Also, Fremont's description specifies crystal 60, here.

Otherwise the St. Arnold's site is a little more informative.

Back