Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!

I should have jumped in lastnight after I saw jan had posted and the responses and tried to explain a little. Didn't quite know how to approach it. Creamy, I saw your post this morning and knew right away you didn't put two and two together.

No offense taken from any of the posts. Creamy, apology humbly accepted and mine to all you guys as well for my wife's well meaning although badly thought out post. (geez, I've never done that) She's a bit naive to HBT but should probably know a little better than to make such a bold statement. Kind of like a vegetarian walking into a steakhouse and proclaiming people shouldn't eat steak. But honnestly it was not directed at any of you guys it was more towards me. Funny though, she's bought me a few pipes over the years!

Happy days everybody!

As a minor aside, not only did I make a yutz of myself I also forever sullied the idea of forcing threadcrappers to fight with soup spoons and pine cones...

hmmm... pine... think adding a couple pine needles to your pipe would add tar to your mouth/lungs, or just give you a nice piney flavor?

I am a big proponent of pine needle tea....

Wow!

I should have jumped in lastnight after I saw jan had posted and the responses and tried to explain a little. Didn't quite know how to approach it. Creamy, I saw your post this morning and knew right away you didn't put two and two together.

No offense taken from any of the posts. Creamy, apology humbly accepted and mine to all you guys as well for my wife's well meaning although badly thought out post. (geez, I've never done that) She's a bit naive to HBT but should probably know a little better than to make such a bold statement. Kind of like a vegetarian walking into a steakhouse and proclaiming people shouldn't eat steak. But honnestly it was not directed at any of you guys it was more towards me. Funny though, she's bought me a few pipes over the years!

Happy days everybody!

Jan bought pipes of regret and talks of forevers not sweet.
Amidst room notes of vanilla, caramel, and athletic feet.

By way of Virginia she envisions his demise,
Dan check your health premium for a sneaky surprise.

As a minor aside, not only did I make a yutz of myself I also forever sullied the idea of forcing threadcrappers to fight with soup spoons and pine cones...

not so ... very creative, I thot.
I was picturing rival forces, sotten with homebrew, charging into battle armed with wooden soup-spoons and pine cones and pot lids as shields. It actually has a holiday sort of atmosphere to it.
(I think I've actually had holiday get togethers like that)

Wow!

Happy days everybody!

Why is your wife in Honolulu and you're in Hanford?!?!? :confused:

Military? :)

Just ordered a new pipe, will post pictures when it arrives! This thread inspired me to get an early birthday present for myself...

JanCan sends my apology out, as it seemed to ruffle a few feathers on my statement shout. I’m not a troll, but a wife worry about her beau. As my husband said to me yesterday, maybe I shouldn't be on these sites anyway? I purchase several pipes for my guy, who smoked them nightly on the sly, so did that smoke really fly. So please accept my humble apology for a statement made somewhat strongly. For Creamy goodness thanks for your humbleness, I didn’t mean to throw you that rumble mess. So drink up, smoke up and enjoy your life, make sure your life insurance premiums are paid up for your wife. :cross:

jancan123 said:
JanCan sends my apology out, as it seemed to ruffle a few feathers on my statement shout. I’m not a troll, but a wife worry about her beau. As my husband said to me yesterday, maybe I shouldn't be on these sites anyway? I purchase several pipes for my guy, who smoked them nightly on the sly, so did that smoke really fly. So please accept my humble apology for a statement made somewhat strongly. For Creamy goodness thanks for your humbleness, I didn’t mean to throw you that rumble mess. So drink up, smoke up and enjoy your life, make sure your life insurance premiums are paid up for your wife. :cross:

Bravo!

rifraf said:
Just ordered a new pipe, will post pictures when it arrives! This thread inspired me to get an early birthday present for myself...

I won an eBay auction for a savenelli.. That makes 2 on the way ;)

Czm said:
I won an eBay auction for a savenelli.. That makes 2 on the way ;)

I've heard pipe collecting becomes as addicting as homebrewing... That's dangerous

My apologies too Jan and Dan.
Not knowing that you were Dan's little woman, thinking that you were an insensitive person pushing their values or ideals on persons who were simply enjoying tobacco talk...
I too said things that were not nice. I would like you to sincerely accept my apology and hope that you in fact keep posting as knowing that the fairer sex is about, hopefully keeps it possibly cleaner here.
I no longer think you're a Putz and do NOT want to see you fight with spoons!!!! Lol
Sorry... this has been traumatic!

I still want to see Jan fight with spoon and pinecones. Especially if Dan is armed with a toothbrush and a Orange Roughy.

Tout suite, dearest Jan, don't be such a toughie.
With toothbrush in hand, and the other Orange Roughy.
Dan puffs on his heirlooms, like a waterless guppy.

To talk of tobacco, a health thing it's not.
No vitamins, no minerals, in those pipes that he's got.
But just look at it this way, at least it's not pot.

I haven’t recent pipe smoked experience, because it is out of style now. But I have noticed that there are few of women are still using pipe smoke method at my night club.

I haven’t recent pipe smoked experience, because it is out of style now. But I have noticed that there are few of women are still using pipe smoke method at my night club.

This is one of the oddest statements I have ever seen here for some reason...
and this coming from a guy (me) who has cranked out some damned fine odd statements......

No offense!

You are saying that women at YOUR nightclub smoke pipes?

This thread has inspired me to go down to the smoke shop and pick up a pipe. I enjoy it much more than a cigar, though I definitely prefer a glass of single malt versus a homebrew while smoking. One question for the experienced, I smoked my first bowl with the filter but have since taken it out and feel I get more flavor/better smoke this way: Do y'all feel there's much advantage to using the filter? I understand the health factor but I'm not inhaling the smoke so I figured any benefit would be moot.

Tex, I think the health benefit (if any at all) of drawing smoke through a CLEAN filter would be more to your tongue/mouth rather than to your throat or lungs...

Whenever I have smoked a pipe in the past I noticed that the filtered pipes SEEMED to draw a cooler smoke. This could be pure placebo however.

This thread has inspired me to go down to the smoke shop and pick up a pipe. I enjoy it much more than a cigar, though I definitely prefer a glass of single malt versus a homebrew while smoking. One question for the experienced, I smoked my first bowl with the filter but have since taken it out and feel I get more flavor/better smoke this way: Do y'all feel there's much advantage to using the filter? I understand the health factor but I'm not inhaling the smoke so I figured any benefit would be moot.

Filters can resolve gurgling issues and toung bite problems. Otherwise, they are just something else to keep track of.

Yeah, filters help collect moisture. I use them in pipes that are designed for them, but don't specifially go out of my way to buy filtered pipes. I have a Bjarne that is a beautiful looking pipe and smokes great other than a constant gurgle, regardless of my pace or the type and humidity of the tobacco I'm smoking in it. I often wish it had a filter in it.

I finally had a chance to pack a bowl of Virginia in my Rhodesian lastnight while working on the kegorator's new look. Man that is some creamy smooth tobacco. I only smoked about half the bowl (it's a fairly large bowl) and I guess I had forgotten how nice that tobacco is. Did I already say smooth, oh yes. It's slightly sweet without being overpowering, just natural tobacco flavor. Now I remember why this one stuck out in my mind from so many years ago.

Ok just got home from work to check out my new pipe!
Pipesandcigars only shorted me one tin of tobacco from a five tin set. Emailed them and I guess I'll see if they make it right, how hard is it to put five tins in a box?

image-2768833818.jpg

image-4195977216.jpg

worksnorth said:
Pipesandcigars only shorted me one tin of tobacco from a five tin set. Emailed them and I guess I'll see if they make it right, how hard is it to put five tins in a box?

The new pipe did smoke well though! Stoked about that!

worksnorth said:
The new pipe did smoke well though! Stoked about that!
Can't wait for tomorrow... Hopefully I get all my tins

worksnorth said:

Czm said:
Can't wait for tomorrow... Hopefully I get all my tins

It may be just me, but this pipesandcigars place doesn't sound so good.

Ace_Club said:

I really don't know? The quality of the tobacco appears good, they shipped it out really stinkin fast. I'm just dumbfounded that they didn't give me five tins in a five tin set. Lol how hard is that? Oh well we'll see I guess

Well that makes two of us in this thread whose order they screwed up. But I will say the tobacco they sent me is exceptional. I wanted a 3.5 oz tin and got 8 oz loose leaf, the tobacco is silky smooth and just as good as I remember it when in a tin.

I'm more of a cigar guy but have a pipe and smoke occasionally. This was a gift I received a few weeks ago I need to get up in the shop/mancave.

View attachment 78196

Wow! Nice gift. Yes get that thing up in the mancave ASAP! :mug:

Back