Building mash tun - what size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before, but I'm seeing a lot of different answers. I'll never do more than 5 gallons of beer at a time. I like beers between 4.5% and 11% alcohol. 40Qts is 10 gallons, so is that the size that I need? I understand also that the larger the size and the less mashing (17 gallon for 5 gallons of beer) would end up with a lot of temperature loss over the course of the hour. What's the absolute maximum size that I should look at getting and is there a better brand than others? I see a lot of Coleman Extremes....

Thanks!

Whatever OG would get me to the 11% mark if I wanted. I'd generally be doing anywhere between 5.5 and 9%. I just finished an extract that I was able to bump up to 9.1. My OG was 1.081 for that batch.

This time of year, stores try to clear out summer stuff like coolers. last September I got my 5-gal igloo for $8. Point is, you might be able to grab a 5 AND a 10 gal dirt cheap. If you use a braid, you can use it in both coolers too.

I am really happy with the 15 gallon igloo cube. For normal brews it only uses about a 3rd of the space but when I start doing high grav brews I am going to be loving this decision even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone! So, it would be safe for me to get a 48qt cooler for 5 gallon batches and not have to worry too much about temperature fluctuations?

Cut some appropriately sized pieces of styrofoam, put them in a Reynolds oven bag or slow cooker liner, and lay them on top of the mash. That'll totally eliminate any head space where you could lose temp.

JonM said:
Cut some appropriately sized pieces of styrofoam, put them in a Reynolds oven bag or slow cooker liner, and lay them on top of the mash. That'll totally eliminate any head space where you could lose temp.

I have never done this because my cube has never lost a degree in a 60 minute mash as long as the lid was kept closed. I have heard of people going 90 with the cubes too.

Back