dry hopping without a bag and cold crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
i wanted to attempt dry hopping without using a bag. ive heard the term cold crashing a few times which i assume is just knocking my fermenter to fridge temp for a few days. is this right? from what ive gathered, it seems i can dry hop without a bag, cold crash for a few days, all the hops will sink to the bottom, then i can siphon my beer with no worries of clogging. is this right?

Well, the cold crash is more to get the yeast to drop out, but you can siphon without a bag and siphon above the hops. Cold crashing will help get more yeast to drop out before transfer.

ive read a lot about people getting clogged siphon when dry hopping without a bag. also ive read hops wont necessarily sink all the time (in which case i could see how a clog would occur). wouldnt the cold crash help drop everything (yeast and hops) to the bottom?

I've dry hopped without a bag, and if you're careful when siphoning you won't get a clog. 95% of the hops will be floating at the surface, so you should just be able to stick your racking cane/autosiphon below them and above the trub layer, and just move it down as the beer level goes down. You won't get as much beer out as you would had you dry hopped with a bag, but you're really only missing out on half a bottle or so.

I've dry hopped without a bag, and if you're careful when siphoning you won't get a clog. 95% of the hops will be floating at the surface, so you should just be able to stick your racking cane/autosiphon below them and above the trub layer, and just move it down as the beer level goes down. You won't get as much beer out as you would had you dry hopped with a bag, but you're really only missing out on half a bottle or so.

ive heard that method too. seems like it would work fine. do you put a sanitized muslin bag over the siphon just in case of clog?

I mostly use whole hops as personally I've gotten better results. They float and you just siphon slightly below them. If I use pellets, they normally break up on me and float to the bottom, and when CCing is done, they look like a new layer of trub.

I have never used a bag, never saw the need.

Back