Chill wort in PET carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratwolf

Reaction score
I'm wondering if, after I knock the wort down to 140*, I should transfer my wort to my PET carboy to chill. Would it chill faster in an ice bath since the heated BK will be out of the picture? Just thinking...

What are you using to chill the wort now? I never had an issue from the kettle (aluminum) when using an IC. Now that I'm using a plate chiller it's even less of an issue. If you're using the ice bath method now, just keep it in the brew pot until it's at a safe pitching temp. If you had a fermentation chamber you could chill it the rest of the way there.

Do you have a kettle or just a brew pot? If its an actual kettle, look to go to either a CFC or plate chiller. I wish I had picked up the plate chiller earlier. IMO, its far better than using an IC. Chills faster, lets me leave the lid on the kettle, has a smaller footprint, and increased 'beer geek factor'. :ban::rockin:

I have a brew pot, not kettle. Mistyped. I have been considering a plate chiller, though, and your advice makes me anxious to get one. I have a counterflow heat exchanger, but since I got two batches w/ off flavors I'm trying to keep everything as simple as possible to avoid the problem (I hope!) or at least to more easily isolate it.

Thanks for the advice!

Were you using a CFC (wort goes through the copper part, water through the outside to chill it) before? If so, how did you get the wort to enter the CFC?? If you were using an immersion chiller (copper coil placed into the pot, cold water running through the copper) then that makes more sense.

I've been really enjoying the ChillHog 4000 plate chiller and RebelSmart (from Rebel Brewer) since I got them. I picked up a pump since my last batch, and will be using it in the next one. I also expect to have my keg mash tun built before the next batch, and will be using that (with a RIMS configuration). I might pick up a second propane burner for that batch, depending on when it is.

As for the off flavors, post up info on that so people can try to help you identify and eliminate them. What were the brews? How long in primary? What did you do with them? Keg or bottle? Did you use pure O2 or shake/agitate to oxygenate?
I picked up a pure O2 setup several batches back. Using that gives you much cleaner flavors in the brew/finished product. Plus, it's easier on the old back than shaking.

Depending on the pot, what it's made from, and what you have for tools on hand, you could install a ball valve in it yourself. I did that to two aluminum stock pots when I was changing over to all grain. Since having ball valves in the kettles/pots, I cannot imagine ever not having them. I started with the brass ones (sold at the LHBS as cooler mash tun conversion kits) and have since moved over to three piece stainless models. Another place where I wish I had just gone stainless the first time, oh well.

BTW, IMO, Blichmann kettles are worth every penny.

Back