time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GreggZ said:
dana wheat? .... but i will have to agree with boleslaus on this one, esb.

Yeah, I went through that one in my head, but as "Extra Special Bitter" :)

winner!!!!!

From Sam Calagione's book Extreme Brewing. Jackson, Crowe, and Kiwi are New Zealand natives (I think the fruit originated in China, but it's a symbol of NZ).

2011-06-22_232916.jpg

recipe?

Okay, I'm going to expect a pretty specific answer here, due to the very short list of possibilities if accepting a very general answer. Don't worry, there is no hidden key ingredient that needs to be randomly guessed at - I feel I'm being pretty fair, especially with the following clue:

I'm not sure that this even qualifies as an ale...

emjaybeer.jpg

Nope!

I'll give another hint at noon, at which point everyone will be free to guess again.

Okay, let me clarify on the first hint:

It's grouped with other styles that are ales, but this particular style almost always uses lager yeast.

And a second (long) hint:

It does NOT have it's own BJCP style definition (it might eventually), although there is a single BJCP-defined style which currently covers every single example of the mystery style, though it covers other beers as well. This broader BJCP style hasn't even been mentioned yet, and is SUPPOSED to be black/very dark... the color here is not what separates this style from others in its group (unlike, say, a black IPA).

Everybody is free to guess again...

Back