Which rhizomes to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kreefer

Reaction score
I live in Portland, Oregon and am thinking of growing 3-4 varieties. What I brew mostly are IPAs, Belgian Wheats, and Saisons. Any thoughts on a few, robust common varieties that would be able to be used in one or all of these styles? I love to dry hop a lot as well, and I have not used an aroma hop that I did not like yet.

Thanks!

I use cascade I grew for my IPAs If you grow em yourself it improves the quality. I made Bert Grant's fresh hop ale with the cascades. I shared it with friends that said it was awesome. I bought my hop rhizomes from Freshops in Oregon. They're great to deal with. You could probably easily visit a hop farm out there. That would be fun. I don't know what to reccomend for the other beers you have listed.
Good luck
Attached is a pic of my hops:) Virginia Wolf
c493e10b.jpg
[/IMG]

I do a lot of IPA brews. I have Cascade, Centennial, Magnum, Nugget,
Mt. Hood, Northern Brewer, and Zeus in my garden. All are now going into their 3rd season. This year should be a great year now that i'm going to have a great trellis. Being on the coast you should be able to grow almost any type. Pick your beers and go for it. Remember that when they mature you will spend hours picking the spiney bastards.

I also brew a lot of IPA's so I went with the three C's - Cascade, Chinook, Centennial. This year I'm adding two or three different plants one being Magnum. Not sure what else.

What the above said is true. The answer to 'what should I grow?" is always the same:
Grow what you use.

If you don't like IPA's, don't grow IPA friendly hops. If you do, the above list is great. Everything will grow, so grow what you use.

It seems like the higher bitter varieties I grew produce the most.
The cascade Do really well too.
My Kent goldings, hallertauer, fuggles, and centennial seem to produce the least. Magnum chinook and nugget make huge harvests I would gow more middle of the road alpha acids If I had to do it over again because recipes I brew typically call for more flavor and aroma then bittering, but I'm happy with what I chose to grow. :) Virginia Wolf

For a saison, Goldings are regularly used, along with perhaps Saaz or Hallertauer. Mt Hood or Liberty would be good substitutes for Hallertauer, and grow pretty well. They would also work well for the Belgian wheat. I chose Mt Hood, among others.

IPAs are all a matter of which hops you like in your IPAs the best. As for the two Belgians, you are most likely to do well with the continental varieties or the US hybrids of them like crystal, mt hood, willamette, santiam, sterling, etc. From what I have read, nugget is a great bittering hop, grows easily, and has pretty incredible yields. I have three jumbo nugget rhizomes in the mail from freshops to go with my four new strings of local wilds.

Back