The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize my opinion might be a bit out there, but if tropical depression 11 made it here as a Cat 2, maybe take out some infrastructure, we'd be better off in long run despite real economic losses. Lots of the dinks are making noises they are going to stay past labor day 'cause of covid, some even enrolling their brats in the local schools. Better for them and us if they see what it can be like right away, and go back to their high end strip malls.

know it is not likely, but it is ok to dream, isn't it? I actually had an effective rain dance once, but alas,,,, perhaps I have said ,,,never mind,, "party on" and "remember is a marathon, not a sprint".

I agree with the sentiment - I would not want to live anywhere that gets thoroughly overrun by self-entitled tourists from lord only know what hot-spots...

Alas dear Josephine will likely be blown off to the east by all the hot air, disturbance 1, likely same fate.

At this point I'd be grateful for even a little rain. Probably will have a miserable winter though. I can hardly wait.

Alas dear Josephine will likely be blown off to the east by all the hot air, disturbance 1, likely same fate.

At this point I'd be grateful for even a little rain. Probably will have a miserable winter though. I can hardly wait.
Cheer up, D, because hurricane season isn’t over yet. As far as rain yeah I’ve got some to send your way. That stupid tropical storm was all wind and very little rain, sea aerosol driven by the wind destroyed the finish on my cheap stainless grill, and dried out the leaves on a mulberry tree and some other plants. The grill cleaned up pretty good.
@balrog I got to brew a small batch of doppelbock today. Should get to that SMaSH this weekend.

I had to run over to the Emporium in West Boylston for a couple of gas QDs and chatted with the young man that usually is holding down the fort there. He related that business has been very good of late with lots of new folks getting started home brewing and vets stocking up. Surprised me, but that's fine, the more the better, because clearly the bidness on the whole has been in decline over the last many years since its peak. And I need the store to stay afloat!

Cheers!
I know I'm a couple weeks behind here....
But I;m guessing Emporium is also picking up the extra business from the demise of Strange Brew.
SB was 10 minutes from my house, even getting stuck at all the red lights, so aside from it being the local, it was where I could run to pick up something in an emergency. West of Marlboro it's easy to get to HE - for me it's a tossup to go to Boylston or Cambridge, and neither is easy. Gotta make sure I have everything a week in advance, to find time to get there.

Sup, bitches?
Not much, having morning coffee, it’s raining, I brewed yesterday might brew again today and I definitely will wash some laundry. Boring accept for brewing.

Having a hard time listening to the debate over whether or not college football should be played.... what the hell are people thinking? Get a new thing to identify with this year, like wellness. :rolleyes:

Racked the batch I made last week to kegs this morning, it is spunding nicely. This is the test batch 100% batch of Briess "maltgems pilsner". I tasted of coarse, it is going to be fine beer.

Fixed an AC unit w blown circuit board w a $1 varistor, troubleshot the off island car's problem, found it, helped fix two of my friend's vehicles, had a good dinner w mostly home grown produce and have a nice glow from home brew.

And it rained today, for which I am quite happy. Nothing like a three day nor'easter to bring back old memories.

Did you get to brew?

I just mashed in, another rye forward "cream ale" for lack of a better description. Actually I don't name my batches, just number them, this one is #99 since I started brewing again in 2018.

Not sure we are really supposed to discus actual home brewing on this thread though, {;

Made starter Monday WY1450, spun up, chilled down, ready to go.
Then I wrote another chapter in the ever expanding treatise, "Why 60+ Year Olds Shouldn't Do Certain Things"
Went on lovely 30mile Farmington River trail loop bike ride, but darned if other people had same idea. Many many much other peoplesen. A tike on a trike zigged and I zagged, right into a split rail fence, didn't unclip in time, went down kinda hard, tried to grab fence and yanked my left deltoid worse than PTN hanging onto a bucking 300# tunafish on the line.
So I am currently nursing my left arm, thank goodness it doesn't impact my love life, my right arm is fine.

But no brew today. Must take it easy, getting up every 20m or so to refill my beer and maybe swap ice packs on the shoulder.

Well, I guess with luck I join that age group soon, but you'll seldom catch me doing as risky as going on a public bike trail, at least not on my leisure time.

Anyway, sorry to hear your plans derailed, but your convalescent approach seems sound.

One armed grilling I can still do
2FF1FCE0-E1D1-436A-81EB-BFD6B879D807.jpeg

Got to hang on to those old grills, and fix them if you have to.

Haven't you heard most of the new ones from asia are made of low grade radiological material that was sent to them as recycling?

Just kidding, sort of.

I still got an old grill. Regularly, there are some that show up w free signs by side of road around here, probably better than mine,...maybe go shopping some day...but still, I know the scunge on my grill is scunge from my cooking, and that counts for something.

I'll just digress a little further, why not, ben slow around here....; I would advise never to buy used furnature, even nice stuff, let alone free stuff on road... broke my rules once and bought this nice leather couch....good shape, looked clean, seller was prolly richer than me...thing was full of dog flee larva or eggs, they had cleaned it up, but a timebomb....

Anyway, have a better one, ....

That looks like my old Weber. It was 12 when I had to leave it for my ex. She insisted on keeping it, even though she never used it in those 12 years.
Funny ppl ex's can be. Mine seldom drank coffee much less made it but had to have the coffee maker. I guess she liked the looks of it. My lawyer, "If you really want it I'm sure we can get it,, but I'll just buy you one and add it to the bill, It'll be cheaper that way" He was a good lawyer, actually saved me money in the long run. (read: "could have cost me more")

I've had that grill 15 years. Replaced grill grates twice, flavor bars twice (who came up with that stupid name?), piezo igniter, and recently the ash pan covering the whole bottom fell off when one of the 4 holding screws that tap into the main grill rotted out. I was able to rig it back up using the other 3 screws, thinking the overall carefully calibrated high efficiency thermodynamics would be compromised without a bottom. Also, I OCD too much.

Ok. Who has two thumbs and likes donuts? This guy. Same with beer. However, this is crossing-the-streams kinda wrong:

1598361070398.png

I will try the Coffee Porter. To *my* tastes, the Berkshire Brewing Drayman's Porter was always the gold standard to which I measured anything I tried to make, porter-wise.

I wonder if the coffee porter is like a Dunkin "regular". I believe that's milk and two sugars. Whenever I buy a coffee from Dunkin, I have to make sure they hear me say "black". I've had many occasions where I said I want a medium black coffee, only to receive one with milk and sugar. Yuck!

Lots of folks going be "waiting in line" the way things are going. Good luck to the storm ravaged wherever they are, I'm sure they need it.

On a local note; I can't fathom why one would wait in a long masked spaced line to order, then another one to pick up order. I'll admit you can get some decent seafood to go in that up island tourist trap, but not good enough to stand in line twice for, and go eat huddled in little groups w masks hanging from chins.......

Anyway, I always liked the name Laura, hopefully she'll at least send us some rain on the way out.

Last edited:
Back