The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jose has a short tenure approach to management, so he would never be another Ferguson.
And for the record, Ferguson has said publicly that while he is friends with Jose, and rates him as a manager, he doesn't believe his approach would be good for United.

Turns out a Las Vegas attorney has registered the website LasVegasScorpions.com and also the business name "Las Vegas Quicksilvers"

Speculation is that it'll be a NASL team which is a shame since Reno will only ever face them in meaningful play during the USOC

So, FIFA brought their own sort of hammer down on Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini, banning them for eight years. Now, the cynics among us might point out that this ensures that Blatter can't try to run for president again or otherwise dirty the PR waters of the election while also ensuring Platini (whom many people don't like at FIFA) can't run, in one fell swoop. Ironically, this ban comes from the very system Blatter himself set up to deflect attention over Chuck Blazer and Jack Warner years ago. Realistically, this changes nothing. There's no way FIFA's president was going to be named Blatter or Platini come next year, and this doesn't really change anyone's opinion of FIFA corruption.

In MLS/USMNT news, Omar Gonzalez is officially no longer an LA Galaxy man, he now plays for Pachuca in Liga MX. He announced it in an usual way, showing up to the news conference as Darth Vader too. I said a while back that keeping Gonzalez in LA would be difficult to do and that the club might have trouble doing so, it looks like that idea was correct. I would have preferred to see him wind up in Europe, but a move to Mexico could be good for him. Video in the link

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/12/22/omar-gonzalez-darth-vader-star-wars-pachuca-la-galaxy.

Sadly I think Mexico is about as good as Omar will get in a first division. He could play most second divisions I'm sure, but he's not super young so he's not a propsect, and though he's a stud in MLS I think other teams see his flaws, which is he's a very strong individual player but doesn't play well as part of a unit

Sadly I think Mexico is about as good as Omar will get in a first division. He could play most second divisions I'm sure, but he's not super young so he's not a propsect, and though he's a stud in MLS I think other teams see his flaws, which is he's a very strong individual player but doesn't play well as part of a unit
He could probably hold his own in Ligue 1

Admittedly, I think he should have made the jump about two years ago, before he was signed on as a DP by LA; there was a lot of buzz around him at the time and there was a strong possibility he could have gone to an EPL team. I think Gonzalez has actually regressed quite a bit since that year, he missed his chance to find another gear by going abroad.

Admittedly, I think he should have made the jump about two years ago, before he was signed on as a DP by LA; there was a lot of buzz around him at the time and there was a strong possibility he could have gone to an EPL team. I think Gonzalez has actually regressed quite a bit since that year, he missed his chance to find another gear by going abroad.

I largely agree. Geoff Cameron was kind of the same. ANd now he's a legit player.

Not every player needs Europe, but I think playing internationally would have benefitted Omar. I think playing in Liga MX will help him too. It's a tougher league and it will be out of hias comfort zone.

I disagree, slightly, about Liga MX being a tougher league; the roster overall around is better, but you don't have designated players like Giovinco either, I'd largely say it's about even, all things considered. I do agree that getting Omar Gonzalez out of his comfort zone will be very good for him though, I think he does his best work when he's challenged and LA simply wasn't challenging him, the only way Omar was getting benched was if he was injured. In Mexico, Gonzalez has to prove himself all over again, maybe that can fix his niggling little issues and make him a top-class center back.

I disagree, slightly, about Liga MX being a tougher league; the roster overall around is better, but you don't have designated players like Giovinco either, I'd largely say it's about even, all things considered. I do agree that getting Omar Gonzalez out of his comfort zone will be very good for him though, I think he does his best work when he's challenged and LA simply wasn't challenging him, the only way Omar was getting benched was if he was injured. In Mexico, Gonzalez has to prove himself all over again, maybe that can fix his niggling little issues and make him a top-class center back.

That's what I'm getting at though. Gonzalez is a great individual player. He can physically take on most players in MLS and win. But he struggles at the team aspect and that's what likely will be tested more in Liga MX because the individual talent isn't as high as it is in MLS

What family doesn't do for Christmas, the PL does for me on Boxing Day. Man U falls to Stoke (waiting on LVG sacking news). Liverpool beats Leicester and gets the first clean sheet against them. We decisively beat Canaries by what should have been 6 or 7 goals, but I'll take 3 with a clean sheet for Hugo's birthday. Would have been nice to have Sunderland beat City but you can't win em all.

Come On You Saints! ;)

Tied for first in GD and losses, and lowest in GA in the league. Have some depth to the squad, mostly free of injuries, and still sitting in a spot for a feasible title challenge. Exciting time to be Spurs.

TTID.

Well that was crazy. Right at the death, Watford inches from scoring, then immediately after that Son back heels it in to give us 3 points. Lots of questionable calls and a messy win. Honestly we deserved 1 point and not 3, but I'll take it.

At least until tomorrow, we move past City into 3rd. Hopefully City and Leicester draw even if it bumps us back down to 4th for the time being.

Meanwhile, hoping Cherries pull another crazy upset. Hopefully their boost in confidence and Arsenal feeling the same of an embarrassing showing on Saturday does some good (sorry @Pappers).

Wow, how did Crystal Palace get into fifth place? That would be crazy if we ended up with Leicester, Tottenham and CP in the top four. Wow.

Which is all fine as long as Arsenal ends up #1 ;)

Wow, how did Crystal Palace get into fifth place? That would be crazy if we ended up with Leicester, Tottenham and CP in the top four. Wow.

Which is all fine as long as Arsenal ends up #1 ;)

The old question, "would you rather Spurs finish top 4, but Arsenal takes the title, or finish 17th but Arsenal gets relegated".

To which I respond that either is fine by me ;)

Although I would like, just one year, for there to be no St. Totteringham's Day :mug:

The old question, "would you rather Spurs finish top 4, but Arsenal takes the title, or finish 17th but Arsenal gets relegated".

To which I respond that either is fine by me ;)

Although I would like, just one year, for there to be no St. Totteringham's Day :mug:

Like a lot of N. American fans who began rooting for Arsenal as an adult, non-Londoners in other words, I've never gotten into the whole rivalry. I despise Man U. much more than Spurs. Head to head, of course I'll root for the Gunners, but I'm not rooting for Spurs to get relegated. I'll save that for Man U. and Chelsea ; )

Like a lot of N. American fans who began rooting for Arsenal as an adult, non-Londoners in other words, I've never gotten into the whole rivalry. I despise Man U. much more than Spurs. Head to head, of course I'll root for the Gunners, but I'm not rooting for Spurs to get relegated. I'll save that for Man U. and Chelsea ; )

I have no specific hate for Man U. And like many Spurs fans, if Arsenal moved back home to Woolwich I'd hate em a lot less ;)

Chelsea on the other hand, I'm pretty sure anyone who's not a Chelsea supporter wants to see them relegated.

Man City I'm not fond of, simply because like other sides (Chelsea, PSG, etc), I'm not fond of moneyball and teams who buy their success. Even the historical greats (Man U and Liverpool) struggle to compete against that. But they're not the cheating, lying, diving, poor sports that Chelsea are, Diego Costa in particular (and Mourinho was, but not any more).

Ashley Cole, the 35 year old legendary English left back, is rumored to be heading to the LA Galaxy.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/united-states/2015/12/28/18793362/englands-ashley-cole-reportedly-close-to-signing-with-la?ICID=SP

While it certainly would be a "prestige" sort of signing that puts butts in seats, I don't think this one really makes sense. First, realistically, the Galaxy appear to be cash-strapped, they didn't let Omar Gonzalez walk just for funsies; and there's no way Cole is coming in cheap, even if it is his last chance to play a league that English people actually watch, he'd almost certainly command at least a league max salary. Finally, the Galaxy seem pretty happy with Robbie Rogers at left back and with Sebastian Lettget at left mid, replacing one of them so Cole can have one last hurrah seems really silly. Given that Cole is out of contract and all that, I suspect this is some nonsense put out by his agent to try to raise his price at the place he's really trying to go.

Ashley Cole, the 35 year old legendary English left back....

...even if it is his last chance to play a league that English people actually watch
I don't know anyone in England that follows MLS. With so many leagues of our own and good quality European leagues, there isn't much time for it. MLS is a place where has-beens go for a final pay-packet.

Like a lot of N. American fans who began rooting for Arsenal as an adult, non-Londoners in other words, I've never gotten into the whole rivalry.
Now, now, behave yourself. You have lot's to learn.
Here's a chant we use to display how we feel. It's call and response and is very English in terms of politeness.
What do we think of Tottenham? (Sh*t!)
What do we think of sh*t? (Tottenham!)
Thank you (that's quite all right)

Now, now, behave yourself. You have lot's to learn.
Here's a chant we use to display how we feel. It's call and response and is very English in terms of politeness.
What do we think of Tottenham? (Sh*t!)
What do we think of sh*t? (Tottenham!)
Thank you (that's quite all right)

We really are a polite people ;)

I'd post my favorite anti Gooner chant in response but even in good fun it's probably too close to a threat lol

http://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-winners-and-losers-16

The first two, Spurs and Poch.

In the space of three days their title odds have been halved from 22/1 to 11/1. If it were any of the Premier League’s five more dominant forces sitting four points from the Premier League summit with the best defensive record in the division, those odds would be closer to 3/1. There is a cynicism about Tottenham but if ever a season should eradicate cynicism, it is this one. If Leicester can have reasonable hopes of finishing in the top four, if Crystal Palace can realistically target the top six, if Watford can rationally believe that the top half is not beyond them, then Tottenham should be viewed as title contenders. Without a s******. Without a smirk. Without caveats.

They did not have to be brilliant against Norwich and they were far, far from brilliant against Watford. But when two games in three days produces six points, five goals and four different goalscorers, respect is deserved and should be handed over generously. Lads, it’s Tottenham, and they are really bloody good.

Still dumbfounds me that even the press is praising Tottenham.

As we head into 2016, here's my prediction for how it all finishes.

1 Arsenal
2 Manchester City
3 Tottenham Hotspur
4 Leicester City
5 Manchester United
6 Crystal Palace
7 Liverpool
8 Chelsea
9 Watford
10 West Ham United
11 Stoke City
12 Southampton
13 Everton
14 West Bromwich Albion
15 Swansea City
16 Norwich City
17 Bournemouth
18 Newcastle United
19 Sunderland
20 Aston Villa

Hate to say it, but Gooners have been consistently strong, and I think will take the title. City has been strong as well, but more inconsistent. I'd like to see Spurs move into 1 or 2, but we too are too inconsistent, but I think we have what it takes to at least take 3rd. We all know that Leicester is going to fall (and their finally getting blanked by Liverpool may be the catalyst), but I don't think they'll fall far (especially if both Vardy and Mahrez aren't sold/injured and remain in form, but if either or both are sold or injured, that may change). Man U's slide won't keep going. Either LVG will go, or he'll right the ship, but won't be able to fully recover. Palace has just been impressive, but not impressive enough to climb higher. Liverpool is showing signs of life again, as is Chelsea, and I think both will climb, but again are too far down to recover for a serious contention for top 4. Watford has done very well in terms of numbers, but mainly due to other giant clubs being out of form, and even if they keep it up, if other sides return to form they will slip. The lower mid table I think is predominantly up for grabs, so mostly guesses there . I don't think anyone will argue that Aston Villa is (sadly) going to finish last and be relegated out of the Premier League for the first time since its inception. They're not showing any signs of improvement. Sunderland I think will cleanly fall next in line for relegation. And then I think it's a tossup between Newcastle and Bournemouth for the last to go, but I think Cherries have shown a lot of heart (moreso than the Magpies) so I hope they just make it.

I don't know anyone in England that follows MLS. With so many leagues of our own and good quality European leagues, there isn't much time for it. MLS is a place where has-beens go for a final pay-packet.

MLS pulls in respectable numbers given that it's on Sky Sports 3 in the late night slots, about 36K for the home opener and they've gone as high as 55k when they're on Sky Sports 1.

http://mlsgb.com/2015/03/16/mls-tv-views-in-the-uk-top-european-games/

Admittedly, those aren't crazy, gang busters numbers, but given that from what Google could dreg up for me in the US, the top rated Christmas week show brought in 5.31 million viewers and one of the top ten brought in 633K viewers, that seems like pretty good numbers for MLS.

As for your assertion that it's a retirement league, admittedly in the past it has been, but more and more you see players coming in from overseas in the prime of their careers. Additionally, any player thinking they can come in to MLS and dominate at an old age without effort is kidding themselves, just ask Lampard and Pirlo how that idea worked out for them so far. That's not to say there are no older players looking for one last gasp of glory, (see: Drogba, Didier) but the league is improving and more and more those old European stalwarts are finding less success in MLS.

Poorly written blog link

I still maintain that the people I know don't follow MLS. I know a lot football fans all across the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland, as well as Ireland and Europe. TV ratings are not an accurate measurement; I'd happily watch a Chinese league game if it was on TV. People don't follow MLS, or at least, that I know of.
A retirement league is a bit harsh, but it is a long way from being a Premier League or a La Liga. I'm not criticising it, it's just fact. And the truth is, has-been's go for a final pay packet. It's not easy for them because they are past their best! :)

Oh, I'm well aware MLS is not as popular in the UK as say, La Liga or EPL, but it has enough of a following to get some TV time on Sky Sports (admittedly in what is probably a dead time for them, 9 and 11 pm). Sorry if I over-reacted there, but a lot of people in the US (so-called "Eurosnobs) mean retirement league in a derogatory way, saying that anyone from Europe can come over for a pay day and easy games. To be certain, a lot of players do come over for one last hurrah from Europe, but many of them learn pretty quickly that you aren't on vacation and if you want to do well you have to put in the effort and time. Nobody, at least nobody sane, believes MLS is equal to EPL or La Liga or the Bundesliga.

Nobody, at least nobody sane, believes MLS is equal to EPL or La Liga or the Bundesliga.

100% agree with your points. Those are the three best leagues in the world (or maybe Serie A). Just because the Mexican professional league isn't among the very best in the world doesn't mean it isn't good football and fun to watch. Fans in Colombia or Brazil get to root on for their home teams in their leagues. Its a good thing, same with MLS.

100% agree with your points. Those are the three best leagues in the world (or maybe Serie A). Just because the Mexican professional league isn't among the very best in the world doesn't mean it isn't good football and fun to watch. Fans in Colombia or Brazil get to root on for their home teams in their leagues. Its a good thing, same with MLS.

Completely. That's why I also enjoy watching the mighty Kingstonians (non-league). The standard is still very high.

In USMNT news, it looks like Jordan Morris is probably going to go pro. The young team USA striker won the NCAA championship with Stanford and a lot of folks think he's going to get the Hermann Trophy (soccer's equivalent of football's Heisman Trophy), so he's basically done everything he can at the college level. Most everything I've read says that he's heading to the Sounders for the largest ever Homegrown Player contract in MLS history so far. It's hard not to get a bit hyped to see this potentially good striker finally head to the pros, but keep in mind that an awful lot of supposed soccer saviors for team USA have ended up as duds (Freddy Adu, anyone?). Heading to the Sounders is probably good for his development, the roster has a couple of senior players on it in Clint Dempsey and Brad Evans that Morris should already be familiar with and a lot of U-23 and U-20 players he may have met in the past as well. Hopefully this all goes well and Morris is on his way to a bright career that eventually sees him in Europe like Deandre Yedlin.

Jordan Morris to Go Pro

In USMNT news, it looks like Jordan Morris is probably going to go pro. The young team USA striker won the NCAA championship with Stanford and a lot of folks think he's going to get the Hermann Trophy (soccer's equivalent of football's Heisman Trophy), so he's basically done everything he can at the college level. Most everything I've read says that he's heading to the Sounders for the largest ever Homegrown Player contract in MLS history so far. It's hard not to get a bit hyped to see this potentially good striker finally head to the pros, but keep in mind that an awful lot of supposed soccer saviors for team USA have ended up as duds (Freddy Adu, anyone?). Heading to the Sounders is probably good for his development, the roster has a couple of senior players on it in Clint Dempsey and Brad Evans that Morris should already be familiar with and a lot of U-23 and U-20 players he may have met in the past as well. Hopefully this all goes well and Morris is on his way to a bright career that eventually sees him in Europe like Deandre Yedlin.

Jordan Morris to Go Pro

Good for him. I'm going to be tentative for now but I think he has the potential for a bright future with the USMNT. Can we please not crush this one with overblown expectations?

An interesting article from Grant Wahl about some rumors about the January USMNT camp, if true:

USMNT January Camp Rumor

For those not interested in reading the whole thing, the highlights (and my observations):

-No veteran players such as Clint Dempsey and Brad Evans, except Michael Bradley.
-Veteran players complained the camp was too long, prompting US Soccer to change it, a year ago I think they would have told them to take a hike, a sign that Klinsmann may have lost his bullet proof status with US Soccer.
-Klinsmann decided to leave the vets off the roster after the complaints, retaliation or a warning shot, perhaps?
-The final roster will include a lot of young prospects from MLS, including Wil Trapp and Ethan Finlay. Luis Robles is also going to get a shot and maybe his first cap.

All of this makes me wonder if Klinsmann might have to call on his younger guys sooner rather than later, he's always done a lot of his best work with young players anyway.

An interesting article from Grant Wahl about some rumors about the January USMNT camp, if true:

USMNT January Camp Rumor

For those not interested in reading the whole thing, the highlights (and my observations):

-No veteran players such as Clint Dempsey and Brad Evans, except Michael Bradley.
-Veteran players complained the camp was too long, prompting US Soccer to change it, a year ago I think they would have told them to take a hike, a sign that Klinsmann may have lost his bullet proof status with US Soccer.
-Klinsmann decided to leave the vets off the roster after the complaints, retaliation or a warning shot, perhaps?
-The final roster will include a lot of young prospects from MLS, including Wil Trapp and Ethan Finlay. Luis Robles is also going to get a shot and maybe his first cap.

All of this makes me wonder if Klinsmann might have to call on his younger guys sooner rather than later, he's always done a lot of his best work with young players anyway.

Eh, it's Camp Cupcake. It's not unusual to see lots of youngins come in while veterans continue their off-season.

So...this is weird and creepy. According to recently public court documents, Peter Nowak hazed rookie players while coaching the Philadelphia Union by dipping his hand in ice water and spanking them. Yeah, you read that right. The entire article of accusations is worth a read, in particular since this forced MLS to step in and tell the Union to fire Nowak.

Peter Nowak Spanking Accusations

Back